HyVee Pork Butts on Sale!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gregandlaurie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
IOWA
Walked in our local HyVee this morning and they had Pork Butts on sale for 69 cents a pound! Unadvertised special. Gonna get some extras for the freezer!

Ive got a local hyVee, never bought pork from them. Are these butts "enhanced"? if they are not I may have to go there.

Hyvee usually has those Hormel butts enhanced and packed in a water solution. might be good for smoking and pulled pork but I wont use them for
making sausage

thanks, I may have to take a spin by, and take a look and see. I just dont like/buy enhanced pork.

Wow, what a great price. My area sucks, they are on "sale" for $1.79 lb here.

They make awesome pulled pork sandwiches. That's what we use them for. One of our favorite things to smoke.

Question, I have a twin pack of butts to smoke for the holiday-there is no mention of enhanced on the label. Do they have to put it on there if it is enhanced? Or can I assume these two are not?
icon_question.gif

(I have another one in the freezer that says it may have up to a 12% solution in it)

GREGANDLAURIE, thanks for the heads-up.

If it's coming from Hy-Vee more than likely it's the Hormel stuff. That's what I've used several times and they turn out fine. Although I always am a bit nervous about what kinds of crap they're injecting into those things.

chainsaw,
I don't know what the "legal requirements" are for labeling. But I would guess that they would have to. I believe one key you may look for is the experation date. Usually those injected butts have a pretty long shelf life.

the ones I get from my local butcher are twin packed and I but them by the case. no enhancement just pork.
I have also used the hormel enhanced ones. but I get the regular ones for wholesale buying by the case and it works out the same or less and I get all pork and no water so I just feel like Im getting a better deal

chainsaw, I believe that by USDA Regulations if a meat product has been enhanced, it has to be marked as such on the packaging. Check the packaging to see if there is an ingredient listing. If you see "pork, water, salt, etc. . . ." listed then there is a pretty good chance that it's been enhanced.

Our local Sams club will beat any local price by .05-.10 cents. Sams only sells in 2 packs here and I don't like to freeze the second 1 before smokeing, but normally do. And really don't like the enhanced meats. It's a me thing.

Ditto. I get mine in cryovac packs from the butcher as well. No injections, just straight up pork that they tray and wrap.

Now thats a good price on butts for sure. I would buy some of them you know 6=8 you know stock up while you can. I usaully buy my butts from either resturant depot or Sam's and haven't noticed at Sam's if they are enhanced with anything. Now I haven't looked lately at RD for the enhanced or not. I'm a new member.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky