How much to buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa j sbq

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Plan on smoking boston butts for a party next month. planning on feeding 200 people. how much meat should i buy knowing i will loose 45-50% in shrinkage after smoking?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Papa Js BQ

110-125 lbs is what I would do. But I like to have leftovers :biggrin:

A lot needs to be looked at to determine what you will need. How many meats will be served? What is the mix of people (men, women, children, age, etc.....)

Here are a couple formulas I use......

I figure on 50% yield out of bone in butts.... I too like leftovers........

serving size(ounces) x guest count x 2 (for 50% yield) = total ounces needed / 16 (to get the poundage) = amount needed to purchase

4 ounces per person - 4 x 200 x 2 = 1600 / 16 = 100 lb to purchase 

6 ounces per person - 6 x 200 x 2 = 2400 / 16 = 150 lb to purchase

8 ounces per person - 8 x 200 x 2 = 3200 / 16 = 200 lb to purchase

If I was planning on 1 sandwich per person I would either plan on 4 or 6 ounces per person. If you add coleslaw to the sandwich that will effect it as well. If you have multiple meats you can cut back on your numbers. If it is all men, might want to increase. If it is a high school football team, really increase the numbers.... that is where the guessing comes in...... if you have any questions feel free to contact me....

Jeramy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky