How Much Do You Spend on This Hobby?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much do you spend on BBQ and grilling related products/year? (Include Everything)

• Less than $500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 - $1,000

• $1,000 - $2,000

• Over $2,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
LOL!!! Smart move by a smart man
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I technically just started this year, so I'll have to itemize it next year or, really, the next.

I didn't vote, but thank you for making me think about it.

Good luck with your book!

-Bret

Well I'm new to smoking food, so I had to buy a smoker, around $200 with tax and wood chips, I also bought a new grill, about $330 w/ tax, propane, charcoal, we have a family of 6, with 3 of them teenage boys, so food gets to be expensive, but with this new addiction, I think that is going to increase, well then so far this year I'm around $800, but that includes the smoker and the grill.
biggrin.gif

Hell, I must have spent close to $200 just on thermo's last year.

I probably spend $50-$75 a smoke. And another smoker on the drawing boards.

Still cheaper than building racecars, or anything to do with boats.
icon_wink.gif

Easily over 2k, but it is one hobby the entire family (friends) can enjoy. My lovely bride always seems to be on board when it comes to getting goodies for the smoker or grill.

I should have read the follow up posts. Figuring in meat and the like I easily buy 500 just in pork each year. Oh well Like Mark I may not want to know.. Transportation,,,,, does that count driving 12 hr to see Jerry and the crew,,,, Well it was for smoking :)

Are you including the meats and stuff? If so, not a fair question. A guys gotta eat! MikeyThai, I don't know if I spend that much per smoke, but I don't add up what I spend on my boat either. But do you count fuel in that too? I mean, a guy's gotta leave the dock sometime.

Maybe I can work out a deal with some of the other boaters in my club, I'll do the smokin', and they can take me and the wife out on their boats!

$18 average for two butts each week= $936. Apx a cord of wood =$180 plus, plus, plus and worth every penny.

beard

How can so many include the cost of Pork, Beef, Chicken......??
confused.gif

So, if you weren't smoking you wouldn't eat?
rolleyes.gif

Question should be, "How much money are you saving by eating great self-smoked foods, instead of the crap you could buy at a restaurant ???"
icon_question.gif

Bearcaver

good point, (I listed meat to answer Jeffs question in the op, with how cheap the WSM is to run my biggest cost is the meat(+ the beer, and hard liquor consumed). With pork and most other cuts of meat that I smoke being cheap compared to the other items I would be cooking instead(prime dry aged beef, lobster, crab, etc.)

$1,500 - $2,500 or more depending on how many parties we have. Last year we only had two @ about $500 each plus all the other purchases.

Not enough!!!!
biggrin.gif
but i must say anytime i like we go shopping for what we need to BBQ...it's a good thing the Queen likes BBQ

Well since I bought the new Lang last fall, I fell into the $2,000 category pretty quick.
icon_rolleyes.gif

On meat alone I'm figuring about $1,000-$1,500 a year just for feeding family and friends. Catering gigs are another animal altogether.

I voted before I saw the criteria and said under $500, figuring the mods I made to FrankenFridge, smoke woods, and sausagemaking supplies. I didn't figure in the cost of the meat itself, since I would still be buying meat to cook some other way.

Adding the meat cost changes things!

i budget $75 per week for meat, beer and jack as its all smoking related
so over the year its about $4,000
but consider that meat is usually saturday and sunday lunch and dinner
so i'm saving by not going out to eat and i get the yard work done while im smoking so the wife doesn't complain too much
plus it's good therapy and relaxation so it keeps me healthy in mind and body, now how can you put a price on that?

I really didn't want to respond to this because I really didn't want to know how much this has cost me. Since I got serious about smoking last July (before SMF), I figured that with smokers, tools, meat, spices, rubs, sauces, memberships and classes. I am pushing $3000. I am ordering a 12X20 workshop and extending the roof another 12' over with a concrete pad, I will have a 1st year expense of $5000. 2nd year expenses will only be for an UDS, meat, supplies and local judging expenses. Please don't let my wife know.

Hopefully next year will be cheaper. Hell I spent 4K just to make Rio happy for the gathering then another $$$ cause Sumo and Jerry talked me into a therom pen. That weekend was worth every penny. Can't wait until next year. Pro-rated on the new smoker. The cost goes down every year now on
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. New friends last forever!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky