How Much Do You Spend on This Hobby?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much do you spend on BBQ and grilling related products/year? (Include Everything)

• Less than $500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 - $1,000

• $1,000 - $2,000

• Over $2,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
As all of you know.. I have been on a information hunting quest over the last while and all of you have been extremely helpful.

I am trying to get a feel for how much each of you spend on BBQ and grilling related products per year? (includes equipment, food, accessories, transportation, etc.)

Just give my your best estimate.

As always, thank you for your help with this and all of my other weird requests
biggrin.gif

Is my wife paying you to find out this information
biggrin.gif
I'm sure she'd like to know no she prolly doesn't want to know

I voted less than $500. Reason why is I have my smoker and all the goodies already. I will buy meat and other food products regardless as I have to eat whether smoked or cooked on the stove. My only real cost for smoking is charcoal and smoking wood and maybe a few batteries for the therm which for me is well under $500 Great Question Jeff.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I promise to not let any spouses see this info (I got a wife too you know)
biggrin.gif

HAH! My wife buys a lot of my smokin' goodies, so she definitely knows!!!!! She surprises me with some of her grocery trips when she gets home with armloads of potential smoked treats, and supports my hobby with enthusiasm.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Eric

This should be really interesting. I've only been smoking for about a year and a half, but have spent a fair amount. The biggest single expense was the smoker and continuing investments in it.

Several years ago, when I took some Scouts camping, I provided a really nice meal after a day of geocaching. One of them asked how come I always had good food instead of the stuff the other adults had. I explained that they have new trucks, etc. While mine wasn't new, it took me where I wanted to go. What I didn't spend on my truck, I spent on cast iron cookware, a really nicely equipped kitchen, and of course, food. I don't eat a lot, but I like it to taste excellent. I've been accused of being a perfectionist.

Needless to say, they all wanted to know what I was cooking for the next campout. I intend to do the same with my new found hobby/obsession.

Thanx, Jeff, for providing a great place to feed my perfectionist ambition to make even better food.

Jerry

My wife really doesn't care as long as the smoked stuff is good and its a whole lot cheaper than my hunting
biggrin.gif

Now ya'll remember he did say the stuff you buy to smoke too

I think I am a little over 500 a year especially this year my problem is I am a got to have the coolest gadget guy. And my wife loves BB ribs so we usually get at least 10 of the 3 packs from sams a year that is probably 250 alone.

This year I've spent a ton between cookers/fuel and food. This year thus far well over $3000. And its only may.

Next year it will drop significantly though. My guess would by $1500 for the whole year for food/foil/fuel, etc.. I like to cook for alot of people though so who knows.

I'm just getting started this year so I figure $500 to $1000.

ECB electric ........ not far from $ 100 taxes and all.

Jeff's rub and sauce recipes ...... well you know the cost for those on the 5 day ecourse.

Spices ......... I try to buy in bulk but it's not always convenient to do so.

Electric ............ remains to be seen but I smoke a lot (several days per week) and at 11 cents or so per hour, it will add up.

I still need a Maverick ET-73 .......... add that in.

The wife buys meat for me to smoke occasionally but I buy most of the meats I smoke.

It may get cheaper next year but I doubt it ........ I see more smokers in my future. It's sort of like a disease ........ once you start, there's no stopping it.

Does this include Beer???? I know that I have to buy food anyway but before this it was not food of this quality.

Given that most of the food is geared for smoking... Between meat, charcoal etc, I'm probably over the 2000 mark for the year.

Even if I wasn't smokin' I'd probably spend just as much on meat, but what I didn't spend on charcoal, I'd probably spend close to that on gas & electricity.

ONCE YA HAVE THE SMOKER AND THE LITTLE GOODIES TO GO WITH IT , COSTS ARE VERY LITTLE OTHER THAN THE HOGS ......GREAT QUESTION .. I SPEND A FEW HUNDRED A YR. MABYE SEEMS THEY JUST KEEP COMING OUT WITH NEW TOYS ALL THE TIME
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Well if I figure a trip now and then to a gathering and this years smoker build I am over 500 for sure. Since I buy butts, ribs, brisket flats by the case or at least half case from my buddy in the Q buisness, I am fairly confident that I am closer to the grand mark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky