How many of you use your water pan with your AMNPS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you use water in the pan while using an AMNPS?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • No, but I do something else to keep the meat moist (comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Question is in the title. How many of you are using water in the pan while using an AMNPS? I saw today that some were not using water if using AMNPS, and that surprised me since the only thing I smoke without water is jerky. I never really considered smoking pork butts or brisket without water.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: If you're not using water in the pan, are you doing anything to keep the meat most?

Definitely, please vote in the poll and comment below.

I never use water in my WSM, and only use the amps for cold smoking.

Chris

I don't use water in the pan... I will use a tuna tin with water in it when smoking sausage.. Just to up the humidity so the casing doesn't totally dry out..
IMO, water pans were invented by manufacturers that couldn't put a heating device in their smokers that would control at 250 F or lower... They use the water to suck up the extra BTU's...

When I first got my MES I used the water pan. I didn’t know any better. Then I started reading Bears step by steps and I started to see the light so to speak. Have. It used it in several years other then to it with foil and use it for a heat sink. MES has all the moster it needs with out adding to it. I get a lot better cooks now

Reactions: mdbannister
Been 8 years since my MES Water pan has gotten wet.

Not only bad for the AMNPS, but No good for the MES.
MES is already too humid inside without any help.

Bear

I use my Traeger for smoking meat... I use a smoke cube for cheese. I will put in a pan of ice if the temps are warm since cheese will melt at 100 degrees...

I use my Traeger for smoking meat... I use a smoke cube for cheese. I will put in a pan of ice if the temps are warm since cheese will melt at 100 degrees...

That may be good for a Traeger, but not for an MES.
The ice melts & adds unwanted extra humidity to the MES.
If I need to cool my MES, I fill a Jug or two 3/4 full with water, and freeze it, and put them in. I keep a few ready in my basement freezer.
That way I'm not adding Humidity to an already Humid environment (Well insulated Smoker).

Bear

Bear, so do you do anything to keep meat moist in the MES, or nothing's necessary?

Never understood the water pan deal, been smoking for a lot of years with a GOSM propane unit and never really used the water pan once I started to figure stuff out, if the product doesn't dry out in that hot running smoker that has a jet engine for a burner there's no chance of stuff drying out in a MES. I kind of think the water pan was invented for the guys that run there unit to hot and cook there product to long drying it out. In today's smoking environment with all these fancy temp monitors and all the forum talk about temp monitoring and internal temp cooking guys are paying more attention to there temps and not drying stuff out as much.
For the last few years my GOSM smoker has been drying out a baking pan of play sand I use for a heat deflector / heat sink which really helps control the temp of the jet burner.

Thanks guys. You've made a believer of me. I'll try not using the pan for the next several smokes. I think after that I'll probably ditch the pan completely.

Bear, so do you do anything to keep meat moist in the MES, or nothing's necessary?

No---Some days I have to open the door now and then to wipe the condensation off of the inside of the Window, so there's no way I would add water to my MES.

And I wouldn't ditch it. I leave mine in position (covered with foil) to block the direct heat from getting to the meat above.

Bear

No---Some days I have to open the door now and then to wipe the condensation off of the inside of the Window, so there's no way I would add water to my MES.

And I wouldn't ditch it. I leave mine in position (covered with foil) to block the direct heat from getting to the meat above.

Bear

I should Add to that:
I don't know about other Smokers, but the MES is so well insulated that it holds moisture from the Meat and the outside air. The only way you could dry anything out would be by "Overcooking" it.
As to the condensation on the inside of the Window. Sometimes I give up drying it off, because less than a minute after wiping it dry, I can't see through the condensation again.
Some days are worse than other days, so most of it comes from the outside Humidity.

Bear

I like looking through my MES window for the first 1/2 hour or so then the fun is over as I can't see through it anymore either. Not sure why I bother to clean it after every use but I do.

I like looking through my MES window for the first 1/2 hour or so then the fun is over as I can't see through it anymore either. Not sure why I bother to clean it after every use but I do.

I heard that before, but I clean mine before every use, and I have never had trouble seeing everything inside, except when the inside is covered with condensation & water streaks running down the glass.

Bear

Bear
Yep, and also catch drippings. I consider the water tray basically a drip pan. First smoked turkey I dropped like $20 on adding apple juice, whiskey, spices for the water tray... LOL. I think DOmak is right, it is probably a mfr thing trying to lower temps.

Yep, and also catch drippings. I consider the water tray basically a drip pan. First smoked turkey I dropped like $20 on adding apple juice, whiskey, spices for the water tray... LOL. I think DOmak is right, it is probably a mfr thing trying to lower temps.

Could be, However the people who write the owners manuals don't seem to know much about using their products.
I believe they tell you to add water to the pan.
They also say to soak your chips, and I believe I remember them saying to close the top vent at times, while smoking.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky