How long is a large brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattsmith379

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2015
Random question but how long in inches is a large brisket? Trying to decide on a new smoker and thinking about what all my fit or not fit on it.

A full Packer will fit on a 18"+ rack with room for heat convection...JJ

"Large" is sort of subjective to what's common on the shelves everyday at your supplier but I usually run an average of 20 prime packers when I cook them for a big event and the packers 15+ pounds trimmed with a carving mark taken off the end of the flat grain are going to occupy 22" or more of real estate when they first hit the grids before any shrinkage.

Thanks. I’m looking at a Grilla OG and they are 21” in diameter. I doubt I ever put a full packer on it but just in case.

You should be fine, short of buying a Bullzilla Packer. Besides, there is no reason turning the Flat end under a bit will hurt. Not to mention, trimming a couple of inches wide piece, makes a great Pit masters snack, a couple of hours in...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky