Hot Pretzels ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Its not smoked but a cold Lone Star long neck and a hot pretzel (or two), Can it get any better than that?

IMG_1468.JPG

All I have to say, they are amazing! Not my normal bread recipe, I was doubting they would be fit to eat. Then I said heck, I got beer to wash them down who cares ? LOL Delicious!!

I don't use a blended/mixer I do it all by hand and this is a really easy bread recipe. Its a dense dough but its smooth and soft. Its perfect for pretzels.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoonsActive Dry yeast
1/2 teaspoonbrown sugar
1 pinchsalt
1 1/2 cupswarm water
4 cupsbread flour
1 tablespoonbaking soda
1/4 cupwarm water
1/2 cupMelted Butter
Toppings ??
Preheat to 550 degres
Directions:
Proof yeast (combine fiorst 4 ingredients and rest 5 mins.

Add flour and knead

Place dough in a greased bowl and cover, allow to rise approx 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down, make pretzels place on parchment paper

Mix soda and warm water and paint the pretzels

Bake at 550 for 8 mins.

Paint the hot pretzels with butter and add toppings

Note toppings: Kosher salt, Cinnamon & Sugar, Grated Parmesan cheese, etc etc..

Last edited:
Right on Kevin, those look great! I'm gonna have to make another batch now.
My twisting skills suck . . look like dog turds. These were the "better looking" ones - HAH!

1608595208079.png

Right on Kevin, those look great! I'm gonna have to make another batch now.
My twisting skills suck . . look like dog turds. These were the "better looking" ones - HAH!

View attachment 476389

Like that old Bush beer commercial, would you rather have good looks or good taste?? Or somethin like that. LOL

They look awesome! Sure glad the wife isn't starting her diet till after the new year, she hates my diet plan...homemade buns, pizza and such. But she loves soft pretzels and beer!

Ryan

Looks great . I make them every Christmas , and a few times during the year .
Dough is about the same , brown sugar is interesting . Might have to try that this year .
I boil then bake . 10 cups water , 2/3 cup baking soda . About 30 seconds in the water .
I had wondered about brushing on the mix of water / soda . Color looks good .
Nice work .

They look delicious! And I like your idea with painting them with the water/baking soda. I usually give them a quick boil with water and baking soda.

Pretzels Look Awesome, Foamy!!
Nice Job!
Like.
However, what do you use to wash down the taste of the Lone Star Beers???

Bear

Those look awesome Kevin!
A big favorite around here, and yours look delicious.
I like some Kosher or sea salt & mustard on mine!
Al

Thank you, but that is a really forgiving dough.

Good to know. My wife wants to do a bunch of apps for Christmas Eve. Might have to consider these with a beer cheese dip.

Question for you. Most recipes I see add the dough to boiling water with baking soda. If I’m reading yours correctly, you just brush the dough with the baking soda/water mix?

They look awesome! Sure glad the wife isn't starting her diet till after the new year, she hates my diet plan...homemade buns, pizza and such. But she loves soft pretzels and beer!

Ryan

Ya know I tried that dough out for a pizza crust, my normal pizza dough is a softer dough which I add Italian seasoning & garlic to. This one turned out to be like a cracker crust dough, like a thin and crispy. I liked it and i thought to myself it was just like a store bought pizza crust. Later I reproached myself, I mean who wants and old store bought pizza crust...LOL Kinda defeats the purpose of making my own.

I love soft pretzels with coarse salt and mustard. Think I'll make a batch of these for Christmas morning. Probably won't look as good as yours, but they'll taste great.
Thanks Kevin.
Gary

Thanks Gary, jump right out there. they are easy. Just remember you don't have to go with the twisted pretzel, you can cut 'em in nuggets or sticks. As long as they taste warm, chewy, and salty that's all that matters.

Looks great . I make them every Christmas , and a few times during the year .
Dough is about the same , brown sugar is interesting . Might have to try that this year .
I boil then bake . 10 cups water , 2/3 cup baking soda . About 30 seconds in the water .
I had wondered about brushing on the mix of water / soda . Color looks good .
Nice work .

Thank you
An old chef once told me that if malt wasn't available, I should just use brown sugar. Historically good German pretzels contain some malt. I don't generally have malt (they sell it in nearly ever grocery store right next to the ovaltine). So I sub'd the brown sugar. It does make a difference. I always used to boil mine also, 'till a lady friend asked me if I was making bagels and not pretzels. She was right. I started trying to just paint the pretzel with the baking soda wash and its 100% less messy and browns as well so I just can't see dunking those pretzels anymore. I don't even measure it. Try it, you can thank me later.

They look delicious! And I like your idea with painting them with the water/baking soda. I usually give them a quick boil with water and baking soda.

Thank you, try painting them, I seriously don't see the need to clean that mess up.

Pretzels Look Awesome, Foamy!!
Nice Job!
Like.
However, what do you use to wash down the taste of the Lone Star Beers???

Bear

Thanks Bear, You know I find that Rolling Rock makes that Lone Star more palatable. <Chuckles> Those little green 7 oz ponies with the wide mouth.

Those look awesome Kevin!
A big favorite around here, and yours look delicious.
I like some Kosher or sea salt & mustard on mine!
Al

Thanks Al. Bread is just like smoking, pretty simple but requires a little advanced prep.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky