Hot dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

social d

Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I am cooking for a company gathering in 2 weeks. I want to smoke 100, 1/4 lb Hebrew National hot dogs. I am going to smoke at 250. How long do you think it would take to bring them up to 160? I might take about 8 of them and do a trial run.

Welcome to SMF. Love your screen name and a huge fan.

Never thought of double smoking hot dogs. Could be a hit. 40lbs is a lot for a small smoker like the MES. My wife and most of her family won't touch a hot dog unless is totally charred so consider that. I say smoke 5-10lb batches in advance and grill some on site or maybe heat some in roaster oven. Smoking to serving is pretty hard to nail until you got some experience. Good luck!

Reactions: social d
Thanks for the replies. I have a MES30. I know what you mean about that seared outside! Yum! I am going to do a small batch this weekend and see how it goes.

Reactions: zwiller
If I'm taking the time to smoke hot dogs I usually wrap them in bacon and/or stuff them with cheese. So it takes longer. Hebrew National hot dogs are pre cooked so you should be fine just smoking them till they're hot, and that will depend on what temp your running the smoker at.

Chris

I smoke hotdogs quite often, I usually start them at 120 for an hour then go to 140 for an hour then to 200 until my likeness, which is usually around 30-45 minutes, I smoke them this long to get a good smoky flavor, not sure how much smoke you will get at 250 for 45 minutes, like you said though try a trial run and see what you think, also I usually smoke them the day before then heat them in the oven when we're ready to eat them

Reactions: social d
I smoke hotdogs quite often, I usually start them at 120 for an hour then go to 140 for an hour then to 200 until my likeness, which is usually around 30-45 minutes, I smoke them this long to get a good smoky flavor, not sure how much smoke you will get at 250 for 45 minutes, like you said though try a trial run and see what you think, also I usually smoke them the day before then heat them in the oven when we're ready to eat them
What wood do you use?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky