Hot dog sauce - similar to the Coney island sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Since we're going to my SILs on Sunday for a 4th of July party, and I'm not allowed to bring my pork shots. I decided to make up a batch of my hot dog sauce. It's pretty simple to make and usually goes over well with all age groups. I kept this batches heat index on the low side since there will be some folks in the under 5 category attending.

First up a shot of the ingredients:
DSC05066.JPG

This includes:
2 lbs of lean hamburger
3 cups of beef broth(I know the picture shows chicken broth, but I really did use beef)
2/3 diced med/large onion( your choice of onion)
2+ heaping teaspoons of minced garlic.
just under one teaspoon of celery seed
3 tablespoons of chili power
1.5 tablespoons of dark brown suger
1.5 teaspoons of cumin
2/3 cup of ketchup
2 squirts of yellow mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 table spoon of your favorite slurry.
I salt to taste at the very end. Usually a pinch or two of Kosher salt.

Next step: put the meat in a large unheated pan add the beef broth, along with the rest of the ingredients.
DSC05069.JPG

With the pan still cold. Mix the ingredients together: The meat will start breaking down at this stage.
DSC05070.JPG

Once everything is incorporated turn the heat up to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer. Stirring occasionally.
DSC05076.JPG

Around the 45 min. mark it's starting to take form.
DSC05077.JPG

About an hour in. Give it a taste to see if you need to add more spices. I added some pepper, salt and squirt of ketchup. Then stir it in.
DSC05081.JPG

...and it's done:
DSC05082.JPG

Sorry no plated shots as the sauce will be served on Sunday. Over Mckenzies natural casing hot dogs with a topping of shredded cheddar cheese and mince raw onions. At least that will be on mine.

Appreciate you staying with me.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC05082.JPG
    DSC05082.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks tasty Chris! I'm due to make a big batch of mine as folks want to buy some for the 4th celebrations and I used my last personal stash from the freezer.

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks tasty Chris! I'm due to make a big batch of mine as folks want to buy some for the 4th celebrations and I used my last personal stash from the freezer.
Thanks Jeff, That's the good thing about the sauce. It freezes well, so you can make bigger batches.
Oh man! I'll take a couple of dogs just as you said you like yours.

Jim
Appreciate it Jim, although it was made for tomorrow's party I have snuck in a few spoonfuls.

Chris

Chris, what were meaning with "1 table spoon of your favorite slurry" ?

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
Sounds great! Ever try it on nachos of fritos?
Thanks BED, I haven't tried it on either, but I have put it on french fries. and it's gooooood.
Chris, what were meaning with "1 table spoon of your favorite slurry" ?
A slurry is just a thickening agent. I make it with cornstarch and cold water. It's basically a 1:2 ratio but I'll only add a tablespoon to the mix. I don't want it too thick. You can also use flour, but cornstarch is easier to remove the lumps.

Chris

Reactions: 02ebz06
Interesting. Might have my wife make this .
Thanks Adam, you can jack it up with some hot sauce or your favorite pepper seasoning. I'll put a dash or two of cayenne pepper in it if it's just me eating it.

Looks good! Think I'd put it on a bun, maybe a slice of cheese, and a few thin Lays tater chips.

Ryan
Appreciate it Ryan, I've put it over scrambled eggs before.

Chris

N

Or a burger! I love a good Coney cheeseburger. Perfect for smashburgers
I've never done smashburgers, but on a good bacon cheese burger it a winner.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky