Horizon 16" classic vs Yoder Cheyenne

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boisblancboy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Bois Blanc Island, Michigan
After reading a very lengthy thread of the Yoder Wichita and Cheyenne drafting issues it made me a bit nervous to go with the small Yoder offset. I know it seems many people have had success with it, but also many have had problems.

Since researching I've come across the Horizon 16" classic, which looks almost exactly like the Yoder and dimensionally is also very similar.

I've tried finding some reviews or videos from people using the horizon classic but can't seem to find much on it. So I'm hoping from the group here someone will have some good information to help me make my decision. For me spending close to $1500 on a unit with the shipping I want to make sure I know what I'm getting. Thanks for the help everyone.

Well guys, no reason to answer my questions. My wife surprised me this Christmas morning! I got a Yoder!

Attachments

• 3F086987-090A-41F9-8223-5375CF525758.jpeg
    3F086987-090A-41F9-8223-5375CF525758.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 146
Thank everyone!

If I would have ordered this unit personally I would have gotten the pot warmer, mostly to set wood splits on it to preheat them. Since it doesn’t have a flat spot on the firebox any tips tricks or ingenuity anyone would be willing to share so I can set the splits on it?

Congrats. This is my first post on SMF. I registered after getting a Horizon for xmas! I can see how addictive this is going to be. Have used a small masterbuilt electric and my home grill to date. Can't wait to get my Horizon delivered! I did get the pot holder. But... I have my first (of many I suspect) dumb question... Why do you want to warm the wood? Does that change how quickly it burns? Smokes better?

Reactions: boisblancboy
Congrats. This is my first post on SMF. I registered after getting a Horizon for xmas! I can see how addictive this is going to be. Have used a small masterbuilt electric and my home grill to date. Can't wait to get my Horizon delivered! I did get the pot holder. But... I have my first (of many I suspect) dumb question... Why do you want to warm the wood? Does that change how quickly it burns? Smokes better?

Congrats on getting a Horizon!

Preheating the wood helps getting some more moisture out and does help it to catch fire quick and producing TBS”thin blue smoke” which you want. Not the thick, billowy, white smoke that will leave a bitter taste on the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky