Hi from Scarborough, Ontario

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geegee 26

Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Scarborough, Ontario
Hello to everyone here in the SMF and thanks for all the help I have received.

My name is Gord and I am retired from TTC, and live here in the city of Scarborough, Ontario. I have been a visitor for awhile now and have had a few problems solved just by doing a search and reading about smokers. I took the plunge last summer and purchased a Master Forge Smoker from Lowe’s. The first thing I did was to seal the two doors with Fireplace Gasket which many of you have suggested. Another thing I did was to trim ½ inch off the flange on one side of the water tray so I have more space at the back wall of the smoker box for heat and smoke to travel. My double probe Maverick thermometer is great in reading the temperature of both smoker and the internal temperature of the meat, so once again thanks to everyone who has helped. I know there will more problems and some questions in the future that I will need help with.  Up until now I have smoked a beer can chicken, 3 Pork Loin roasts, which all turned out great, a Rib Roast that took too long to get finished but was super. The last thing I smoked was a Meatloaf with 1 lb of minced beef, ½ lb of pork and ½ lb of sausage meat which was very good. I like smoking pork the best and I must do another Rib roast and chicken soon. I do have a question on meatloaf, which I have placed General Discussion.

Gord

Hello Gord and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - looking forward to seeing some qview from you

Good morning, (RenoJohn & RTBBQ2) and thanks for the welcome.  Yes, I will have do a Pork Shoulder or Butt one day, with some photos.

Thanks Gord.

Last edited:
Hi JP61.  Sorry for the late reply, but computer went down for a few days, but I think I got it back for now.

Thanks for the welcome.

Gord

Good Morning GeeGee

I am also from the Scarborough area and also have the same MasterForge smoker, probably bought it at the same Lowes last year as you (Warden and Eglinton) I have done a few pork butts, turkey drumsticks, chicken drumsticks, a prime rib roast, beer can chicken, some bacon wrapped meatloaf, sausages and beans and LOTS of ribs (I have been able to fit TEN full racks in it when I cut the racks in half and use the standing racks from Lowes). Oh and cobbed corn too (that tastes awesome BTW)

Had to replace the door gaskets on it this year, they eventually became unattached to the door but I think it was due to an error on my part when I put them on (I used ONE kit and stretched the cord around instead so it would fit on both doors) and also had many instances where I would get flames shooting out the lower dampers after about and hour and a half of cooking.

This spring I took the whole thing apart and repainted it after noticing rust on the inside of the cabinet by the burner. I have since started to coat the entire unit with vegetable oil inside and out after every cook, a tip recommended by the Char Griller company for their BBQs which is not mentioned by the MasterForge people to help combat rust on their product.

What are you currently using as a cover for your smoker? The one they sell at Lowes only covers about half the smoker so its pretty much pointless. I havent been able to find one to fit, thinking about just buying a large tarp and sewing it myself.

Where are you getting wood for your smoker? I have been getting chunks at Sobies in the Bayview/Sheppard area, they have an awesome store with alot of higher end BBQs like the Big Green Egg and Traeger to name a few.

I am currently seeking a good source for meat other than Costco (especially for butts) thats not too expensive. It seems that the many asian food stores in the area have the best price, but I'm not always keen about the quality, its kind of hit and miss with them. 

Keep in touch, would be nice to share tips and other such things with someone in the area.

Cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky