Hi from a neighbour to the North

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Malcolm B

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Ontario, Canada
My name is Malcolm,

I'm coming to you all from Ontario, Canada. I'm 33 years old and I'm a first generation truck mechanic by trade. I discovered my passion for cooking about 7 years ago when I bought a charcoal barbecue. Since then I have naturally gravitated towards smoking and wood-fired cooking.

I've been smoking contently for the past four years on my two webers. I have utilized the smokenator on the master touch grill, which was a game-changing maneuver as it was, but I feel like I am ready to take the plunge into wood-fired cooking and smoking. In the past few years I have become well acquainted with local butchers and produce. My experience thus far has taught me the importance of quality produce and meat.

I have shopped around for smokers here in Canada, and there is one company I know of in Manitoba (Bulldog BBQs), but with the shipping cost, would put the smoker to about $2,500 or more. I figure even if I bought a Lang, it would be around the same price. The price isn't what scares me though, it's that I would rather be experienced in the care of a steel smoker before spending that kind of money. (Cleaning it, maintaining it, etc). The weber barbecues cost me $200 each, so I would rather transition to a more expensive smoker than go at it "full throttle".

I've been secretly reading through the forums for the past little while, studying and learning about calculations, concepts, builds, etc. I've been anticipating a build for the past year and a bit and now that my time is freeing up, I believe I'm going to transition into the planning stage, which is why I joined. That being said, I have limited experience fabricating and haven't practised welding steel in some time. Though I am deadly precise and specific with nearly all of the things I do....even if it takes me ten times longer to get the desired result.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from East TN. Sounds like you have the means and knowledge to build a pretty mean smoker! Might be a lot cheaper to do it that way and build what you want to your specifications. If you aren't ready to cross that bridge then I would check on craigslist(if you have that up there) or an online marketplace for something used to get some more experience. If you like wood fire cooking check out TX smoker's threads on the santa maria grill! Good luck with everything

Welcome to the site. If you want to go the wood fired route - just make sure you have a dependable source for wood.

Chris

Welcome from Wisconsin... :emoji_cat:

Good luck on your build. Would love to see pics of your progress!

Welcome from East TN. Sounds like you have the means and knowledge to build a pretty mean smoker! Might be a lot cheaper to do it that way and build what you want to your specifications. If you aren't ready to cross that bridge then I would check on craigslist(if you have that up there) or an online marketplace for something used to get some more experience. If you like wood fire cooking check out TX smoker's threads on the santa maria grill! Good luck with everything

We have Craigslist, but it doesn't seem to be as popular as Kijiji. At any rate, I just checked it out and there weren't many hits for compressor tasks or propane tanks. I'll be sure to check out TX smoker's thread! Thanks!

Welcome to the site. If you want to go the wood fired route - just make sure you have a dependable source for wood.

Chris
There's an apple orchard less than five minutes away that clears some of its trees yearly and sells off the wood. A 4'x4'x4' create is about $100.
Other than that I'll have to go looking for other sources of wood.

There's an apple orchard less than five minutes away that clears some of its trees yearly and sells off the wood. A 4'x4'x4' create is about $100.
Other than that I'll have to go looking for other sources of wood.

Welcome to SMF from northern California. That half-cord of apple wood you mentioned for $100 is a decent price. I live near fruit wood country and the price can be double that.

He's always got two half cords sitting out front of the store front too. Around my area, smoking doesn't seem to be too popular unless it's done by pellet or electronically.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky