Hey all, I am new here.. Temp question.. apologies in advance if its in the wrong place!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gambit724

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hey everybody!

First of all this seems like such a supportive wonderful place for smokers.. i am so glad to be here!

I have been smoking for about 2-3 years on my charbroil offset smoker.

The biggest problem i have had with it is maintaining temperature;

My favorite thing to smoke is brisket and pork ribs. My last brisket turned out pretty great but the temp swings are all over the place on this thing.

I know Charbroil is not top of the line but regardless, i am trying to learn on it.

So here are my questions for those generous enough to answer:

1.) How much charcoal do you recommend starting the smoke with. I generally smoke at 225 for ribs and 250-275 for brisket as i've found a little hotter helps get through the stall better (in my very limited experience.) Should I be filling the firebox up and then pouring a full chimney starter on top of that? I've always wondered how much charcoal is the right amount to start with. I use lump charcoal, whatever i can get my hands on at ace hardware, home depot or lowes.

2.) Are there some good links to hacks for the Charbroil; I've read about chimney pipe and baffles (i think).. is there a good source for these hacks that might help hold temp? I am game to do whatever i need.

3.) Has anyone tried a temp blower in an offset grill for a overnight brisket smoke? I am thinking if i go low and slow at 225 it might take 12-15 hours.. anyone ever try a temp controller on an offset like a charbroil?

Thank you so much for anyone who lends the time to answer, i hope one day i have enough experience to lend a helping hand too!

** a little more info. I am keeping my chimney completely open and only using the intake to control temp. trying my very best to make very small moderate changes to keep temp stable. still having these swings.. it seems like the temp is constantly getting hotter or cooler... maintenance is a struggle. ***

my opinion is you will have temp swings but a welding blanket to cover your smoke chamber may help.

i have one but didn't use it in a few years, to keep my temps consistent i bought a mes 30, :emoji_grin: other then that try to keep it out of the wind, run your chimney open use your fire door to control temp if possible and as mentioned try using a blanket to insulate your chamber a little better, with offsets i think you will have temp swings unless you spend lot's of $, so i would just do the best you can kick back and smoke some meat.

You picked a very difficult smoker for your first one to learn on. The lower end offset smokers require constant attention and yes they are very difficult to maintain temps with. There are handful of mods you can research on this site. Starting with sealing all the leaks from which air can either enter of escape the smoker, some high temp silicone sealant is the ticket here. A charcoal basket in the fire box will allow you to maintain a hotter fire than just burning on the grates in the fire box. Tuning plates are very important to help distribute the heat. But in the end you will still need to stick a split in the fire box at least once an hour. Get it as air tight as possible and that will help with the temperature spikes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky