Here from London

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JamalD

Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is safe and well.
Here from London and in my first summer (well the UK standard of 2 weeks a year Summer) giving Smoking a go. Bought a Napoleon Apollo BBQ Smoker which I have BBQ on but never smoked. Having a go today on a 5lb Pork Butt which is currently at 3 hours and using a Whiskey Oak Wood and standard BBQ Briquettes. A couple of chutes in and started the Spritzing now as the Bark is looking pretty good.
Any recommendations whether to wrap or not to wrap. Was considering a Honey and Butter wrap around the 6 hour point but have been reading (when I came across this forum) that it may be best to let it ride, no wrap?
Thanks guys and great to be here!

Attachments

• EE577474-ADB0-4CB7-9F41-C713F6B2C114.jpeg
    EE577474-ADB0-4CB7-9F41-C713F6B2C114.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 3
Most times I'm a wrapper. However I'm slowly changing my ways(at least with ribs). Wrapping will lesson your smoke time but will cause the bark to soften. Another option is to bump up the heat to power thru the stall. If you like your bark hard then try unwrapped. If the bark doesn't matter and time is an issue then try wrapping. Either way just kick back and enjoy the experience.

Chris

Oh and welcome to the site.

Reactions: JamalD and JC in GB
I like to wrap pork shoulder. It not only helps get through the stall faster, it also keeps the meat juicier.

If you have a good bark set when you wrap it, it will still be intact enough.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: JamalD
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Amazing place and hope to learn a lot from the masters of BBQ over there! There’s only so much that watching BBQ Pitmasters on Amazon Prime can do!!
I hit the dreaded stall around hour 7 and so I have decided to go with a wrap for the next few hours to build the internal temp.
Hopefully first foray into Smoking goes well. Again, thanks for the welcome everyone. Looking forward to learning some techniques and ideas from everyone.
Jamal

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from Ohio. Made it over there for my senior class trip and dying to get back. Big real ale fan now.

We like our bark dark, so no wrap here. It's all personal preference, no right or wrong. Oak is also my go to wood for smoking.

Reactions: JamalD
Definitely Ale is one of our positives!!! Food isn’t great here though!! If I could go to the States I’d be 35 stone within a few weeks! As a Personal Trainer I love the science behind cooking with real fire but in the UK it’s just “BBQ” sausage and Burger Patties. You guys have the best food. I’m in love with it! Just need a teacher! I’ll send you Ale you send me recipes!! Hahhaha

QUOTE="zwiller, post: 2128295, member: 119822"]
Welcome from Ohio. Made it over there for my senior class trip and dying to get back. Big real ale fan now.

We like our bark dark, so no wrap here. It's all personal preference, no right or wrong. Oak is also my go to wood for smoking.
[/QUOTE]

Hang around here and you will learn TONS. I am proof of it. Here's my take on PP. Learned most of this here over the years. This stuff is WAY better than you what get in our restaurants and I am not just saying that because I made it myself. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/butt-halved-success.298552/ Nearly all of us here a foodies outside of smoking food and will glad to offer any tips or advice for American stuff, just ask. On that note, do a search for PP finish sauces. I am partial to chefJJ's. That sauce is spot on for the stuff I had in North Carolina and NC PP is considered to be some the best in our country.

Not sure if you lurked a long time (I think maybe since you sound knowledgeable) but I HIGHLY recommend doing 5 day E-course, get Jeff's recipes for rub and sauce, and his book. These got me good enough that my family would eat. I tried smoking many things over the years prior and all were huge fails.

Reactions: JamalD and JC in GB
Thanks for the message!
I tell you, I watch American food on Netflix etc and I am sooooo jealous it’s ridiculous the stuff we have here. Barely any real BBQ restaurants too. So sad.

have to provide me a couple of links if you could I kinda lost you on the PP and NC lol!

just started hammering down with rain here and my first cook is about an hour shy. Current temp 185 degrees internal meat and looking as if I may have to complete, embarrassing, in the oven. I can’t keep the coals hot as I literally cannot make a chute there’s wind and crazy rain.
Go again though! Hopefully the smoke has set nicely.

Nope, first day today, found the forum whilst searching for cook times.
Great for the help good looking out thank you!!

Hang around here and you will learn TONS. I am proof of it. Here's my take on PP. Learned most of this here over the years. This stuff is WAY better than you what get in our restaurants and I am not just saying that because I made it myself. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/butt-halved-success.298552/ Nearly all of us here a foodies outside of smoking food and will glad to offer any tips or advice for American stuff, just ask. On that note, do a search for PP finish sauces. I am partial to chefJJ's. That sauce is spot on for the stuff I had in North Carolina and NC PP is considered to be some the best in our country.

Not sure if you lurked a long time (I think maybe since you sound knowledgeable) but I HIGHLY recommend doing 5 day E-course, get Jeff's recipes for rub and sauce, and his book. These got me good enough that my family would eat. I tried smoking many things over the years prior and all were huge fails.

Reactions: zwiller
Many guys finish in the oven. No biggie. Strangely, rain while smoking is a good omen to me, I always have good results when that happens.

WRT (with regard to) PP (pulled pork) and NC (North Carolina) we like to abbreviate/use acronyms for speed. I used to think it was secret code :emoji_laughing: You will pick up on it fast. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/acronyms.73935/

Make sure you pull a nice pint and include in your money shot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky