Hey y'all from London, UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TexanTurk

Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Little intro.

Based on London, England. Always been into food and cooking, got into smoking last summer. Only had the chance for 2 smoking attempts using a standard BBQ and heat off to one side.

First attempt was okay, but I knew I could go better as I'd completely missed the part about the "stall" and what you do when you get there.

Second attempt this weekend went much better. Smoked 4 racks of beef short ribs, wrapped in butcher paper at the stall and I think i pretty much nailed it.

Now the wife is on board with me looking to get an offset smoker, so hopefully plenty more to come.

PXL_20230624_091641891.jpg PXL_20230624_101024151.jpg PXL_20230624_133954910.jpg

Update: Bagged a deal on Amazon for Prime Day so jumped on the opportunity. We pay a bit more in the UK than you guys over in the states, so it cost me £455 (which is actually a good price here)

Arrived Wednesday, built it and cleared space to store it yesterday, but the weather is poor at the moment so looks like I won't be able to season it until the weekend (most likely Sunday) Hopefully it will be dry enough for a 3-hour burn and time to cool without being rained on.

First cook planned for Mid-August so watch this space.

PS. Thanks for all the welcome messages and feedback on the ribs

Attachments

• PXL_20230713_123144704.jpg
    PXL_20230713_123144704.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 15
Update: Bagged a deal on Amazon for Prime Day so jumped on the opportunity. We pay a bit more in the UK than you guys over in the states, so it cost me £455 (which is actually a good price here)

Arrived Wednesday, built it and cleared space to store it yesterday, but the weather is poor at the moment so looks like I won't be able to season it until the weekend (most likely Sunday) Hopefully it will be dry enough for a 3-hour burn and time to cool without being rained on.

You did good. Look forward to your first cook on the new smoker.

Jim

Reactions: TexanTurk
Little intro.

Based on London, England. Always been into food and cooking, got into smoking last summer. Only had the chance for 2 smoking attempts using a standard BBQ and heat off to one side.

First attempt was okay, but I knew I could go better as I'd completely missed the part about the "stall" and what you do when you get there.

Second attempt this weekend went much better. Smoked 4 racks of beef short ribs, wrapped in butcher paper at the stall and I think i pretty much nailed it.

Now the wife is on board with me looking to get an offset smoker, so hopefully plenty more to come.

View attachment 668872View attachment 668873View attachment 668874
Those ribs look Delicious!! Nicely Done!!

Welcome from Colorado and congratulations on the new offset. What are your options for smoking woods?

Welcome from Colorado and congratulations on the new offset. What are your options for smoking woods?
I've got a load of Oak from a neighbour who trimmed back a tree that's been seasoned. Split them a few weeks back in prep for the offset as I knew it was only a matter of time 😂

I also have some Apple wood left over from last summer when I made my first attempt.

Think I'll make my way through these for now, but looking to add some hickory and cherry to my stock pile at some point

Attachments

• PXL_20230710_171655263~2.jpg
    PXL_20230710_171655263~2.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: rabovey80 and chp

Welcome from Beautiful BC! Well, a very smokey BC right now with all the forest fire activity. I see you have the OKJ - I have the highland - and it is a fun smoker to have, but it can be a bit finicky with how it burns/smokes. I don't know if you have had the time (or already aware) to read up on how people use it(with mods, without mods, wood vs charcoal balance, etc) -- but I would recommend having a look. My first batch of chicken I shared with the dogs because it was close to licking an ashtray! Lol! The dogs still loved it though -- and it has consistently gotten better with practice. Anyways - best of luck, cheers!

My first batch of chicken I shared with the dogs because it was close to licking an ashtray! Lol! The dogs still loved it though -- and it has consistently gotten better with practice. Anyways - best of luck, cheers!
No pressure then 😂

I've watched more videos than I'd care to count to the point that I've event dreamt about barbeque on many occasions. Even started keeping a little notebook with tips etc.
Welcome from Ohio! What a great smoke ring on the ribs!

Thanks buddy. Hoping I'd be able to recreate something at least remotely similar on the OKJ, so fingers crossed I'll get to grips with it fairly quickly

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky