Henckel Knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

packplantpath

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
I'm interested in getting a new set of knives. The easiest for me to find are the Henckels. So, I go to linens and things where they carry them. Not badly priced. I was just looking anyway, so didn't buy any. We went across the street to target to look at other things, and happened through their knife section..... Lo an behold, they carry Henckes, but the prices seem far too cheap. The handles look identical, except they just say Henckel and don't have the little picture logo, whereas the more expensive have both. I'm sure the more expensive are better and they are just selling a cheaper line, I'm just curious if anyone has any experience and knows the difference.

BTW, by cheaper, I mean a $100 knife for 25 or 30.

no logo on the knife, i would be suspicious.......but thats just my nature

like a fake rolex, without a sweep minute hand........

Henckel knives are graded by name and by a number of stars. The more stars the higher the grade. If what you are looking at in Target just has the trade name you might as well go to the Dollar Store and buy knives.

IF it is Henckels you want then google them up. There are a number of reputable online places selling them and they will take you to school on what a real Henckels is all about.

BTW I own a rather large assortment of Henckels knives and such.

Cheers!

Heres a good one....8" Black Fibrox Chef's Knife (40520),

Amazon has em for 21 bucks. Rated the best by America'a Test kitchen

Don't be fooled by the cheaper Henkels. The ones you find at Linens and Things, and Bed Bath & Beyond are of much higher quality. One major difference, other than the grade of steel, is the more expensive ones have the tine continuing all the way through the handle. That makes a difference in the way that they both and feel. Any knife you're thinking of purchasing must be comfortable in your hand. If it's not, you won't use it.

Here's my advice. Don't settle for cheap cutlery in any fashion. Some don't feel it's all that important, but I think they're just as important as the cookware you're using. Buy cheaply and they'll cut cheaply.

Two weeks ago the American Test kitchen show on every Saturday morning tested all prices of knives..The Forschner stamped knife won out over all the high dollar forged knives..They sell them on line too..A good chefs knife from them is less than $30 dollars...Try one of theirs with a their steel to keep it sharp. Buy a Henkel and compare before you make a big investment. I own a four star Henkle, a Grand Prix Wustoff and complete set of Forschners. So that was how my test came out! Meat packing plants are the biggest buyers of Forschners. A Guy at Cutlery and More..A big online knife retailer in Chicago put me on to those knives years ago..Good knives are a long time investment..

I bought the J.A.Henckels international Ever Sharp Pro set and their junk.
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
I ended up with a set of Racheal ray furi knives and love them.
cool.gif
stays sharper longer and, also balenced very well. just my 1 1/2 cents.

We have the full set and they are great. I brother bought henkels. got suckered taken by the cheaper ones. they are not good. to my knowledge wustoff does not make a "cheap" series. They make several models but all top quiality. I think macy's sells both and the top of the line models. If i did it over. I would not have gotten the whole set. I would have saved the money and only bought the ones we use often. I have some i do not think i have used except i wanted to get the dust off the handles

I have Henckel Pro S knives. I have a Wusthof Classic santoku, and I have a few Forschner pieces. At this point the Forschners perform as well as the "premium" brands, but they aren't as elegant, and I don't know if the will stand the test of time as well as the others, but they are a very nice line knife.

forget the malls and specialty shops,target ect.go to your local restaurant supply company and check out what they have.
they supply the real chefs of your community,even ask a local chef there opinion on knives,you might be bettter off!

mark

Thanks folks, seems you confirm my gut feeling. Just didn't seem reasonable for them to be so cheap. Of course, now it looks like I may be overruled. The wife informs me she is going to a pamered chef party tonight (like she's there now) and wants to buy their knives. Are they any good, I haven't even seen any.

Right now I'm stuck with a crappy block of chefmate wedding presents and a few old hickory knives I've picked up along the way. I've got the block, so now I just need some better knives to put in it.

Thanks again for all the links, gonna be busy a while.

Hey, PPP!

Pampered Chef, eh? So when is your party?
smile.gif

Don't know much about them but I am sure you will find out and let us all know!

Cheers!

I'm hoping she decides they are too expensive, though they may be cheaper than what I would otherwise spend. I just wouldn't feel right until I've tested them out. I'll let you know what I hear.

I'll let you know in a few days (weeks?). She picked up a Santuko (which I probably just spelled wrong I think for around 20 bucks as a test to see what we think. She said they had a more expensive line, and I'm betting that would be what I prefer, but what the heck, it's 20 bucks.

She also picked up a vegetable chopper of some sort, mainly for me and onions. I have real issues with onions. I love to eat them, but have extraordinarily sensitive eyes, so instead of crying I go blind for a few minutes.

I used to have a whole set of the Henckels in my kitchen back home. For christmas I added a few Kershaw Shun knives to the collection. Now I only use the Henckels if the Shuns are dirty and I dont feel like cleaning them. The Shun series knives are unreal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky