Help with wind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

em21701

Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I started a butt last night around midnight, I got up and stoked the fire at around 4. There was a little breeze by then but nothing major. When I got up this morning it was fairly windy (15 mph or so the weather gizmo says) at that point I was loosing temp and could not get it back. I have a chargriller with the sfb, exhaust mod and the just added firebox baffle. I put the vent wide open when I got up to regain the temp to no avail, I had to pull the butt and throw it in the oven (almost done now). So my question is, for the future what can I do to help keep the heat in the cooker when the wind is trying to cool it off? Dare I say a wool blanket?

I remember some talking about throwing a welder's blanket over the main chamber to help hold heat in windy and/or cold weather.

Hope this helps! (I have no idea where or how to get a welders blanket, maybe someone else will come along with that info!)

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Someone else told me to put a welding blanket on there too. Harbor freight has them pretty cheap.

Might try facing the air intake to the firebox into the wind, as smokers seldom have enough draw through the chimney. When the cooking chamber cools the draw slows down, thus the fire dies down, causing further heat loss. By facing into the wind, the wind forces air into the firebox, aiding in combustion, and should help the temp raise.

I agree with shortone, i often hafta turn my smoker to catch the wind at 45* angle, i don't like it to blow directly into firebox.

I probably should have thought of that but I'm not a morning person. I'll certainly do that next time, I may still pick up the welding blanket too. Thanks all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky