Help with minon method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gbennett21

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
wichita,ks
So i have a chargriller pro with side fire box.i
I use a charcoal basket thats about as big as i can fit in it i belive 12×12×12 or close to it. So today i notice when my charcoal burns funny to me. I start a small amount in a starter then i poured them in the back corner if basket opposite of the firebox intake and it burns down to bottom of basket then across the bottom. When it does this my minon method dont last long because all charcoal gets let pretty quick and i like to add wood chunks every 1hr but i cant because it will cause to much white smoke. I even tryed heating the wood first but i cant figuer out were to put it in the firebox seems like all the air is under the basket. I been smoking for a while and i can hold temps around 250 for about 6-12hrs but i just cant add wood or it will smoke bad. I know i can put wood in the basket when i fill up basket but the way its burning i get a whole lot of white smoke because the minon method burns from bottom up even thow i start it in the top corner.any idea how to get it to burn top down.like i see most people's do.

Have you sealed up your smoker so it is absolutely air tight ???
Yeai have done many mods over the years with this thing and i seem to have a good control over the air flow and getting the temp inside cc even just cant figuer out why my minon method burns down the corner i start in then across bottom and smokes bad.i only start with maybe 15 charcoal in a chimney.Also when the minon method is almost to the end and all charcoal is burnt to ash only little left how would you go about refueling for more time.im smokeing now started at 4:30 and its getting close to being all ash but im going to need more time on pork butt.mbutt.my basket holds about a 16lb bag of kingsford blue.so its been about 6hrs keeping it between 230and 250.

I don't use a side fire box anymore, but next time try less lit coals. Maybe half and start adjusting the airflow when your about 20 or so degrees from your desired smoking temp. I only use about six lit when start my WSM.

Chris

Reactions: gbennett21
Try putting the wood chunks on the bottom,I do my WSM that way TBS all the way.I agree with Chris also
Richie

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky