Help! Trying to smoke an already-cured country ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingnovice

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I bought an 18+-pound Burgers' Smokehouse Brown Sugar-Cured Country Ham with the goal of putting it on our smoker for Christmas dinner. It's now four days before Christmas and, as I'm checking the original recipe I was thinking about, I'm worried that I won't be able to smoke this.

Can anyone tell me if I can, in fact, smoke a country ham? Maybe if I soak it in cold water for 3-4 days it'll be OK? Or does it *require* either slicing and pan frying or boiling?

Thanks so much for any help that can be provided.

Thanks, Craig. I saw this post and read through it, but wasn't sure if it applied since that was a salt-cured (rather than brown sugar-cured) ham. But, based on your referral back to this, I should be safe soaking for a few days then putting it in the smoker?

Never done it but it seems like the way to do it...

Good luck!!

Craig

Boy, do I have some butterflies about doing this! I'll definitely take photos and will post them. Good think we're having *close* friends and family over who will forgive anything that goes awry ... I'll up the quantity of scalloped potatoes, just to be safe.
51.gif

I am getting ready start my first country ham as well. I'll following along,  Here goes! 

icon_cool.gif

Now looking at the link that Craig posted it looks awesome and you should really go for it and I believe that it will turn out fabulous and quite tasty to. So grab that bull by the horns and brine , smoke and serve this thing. Then mail me some.

Last edited:
Yahoo! OK, I'm officially stoked (pardon the pun) to try this method with this ham. I'll definitely take pictures and post them, and if it comes out tasty enough ... I must just mail you some after all! Thanks for the support!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky