Hello from the PNW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lark9onyx

Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
PNW
Hello all.

Up here in the Seattle area. Have been reading lots on here for the past few weeks. Looking to purchase a gravity fed (wish to have a stick burner one day, but with a one year old... there is no time to sit for hours on end). I have smoked for a few years on a Weber Kettle with a little bit on a cheap Masterbuilt propane smoker I purchased in college (not a big fan, but it "worked").
Anyway. Looking forward to gleaming some information and insight from vast cache of information here.

Greetings, and welcome to the community from New Mexico.

FYI - a pellet smoker could be an option to the stick burner for your situation.
Set it and forget, with a remote thermometer to tell you when it is done.

That's true. I have been going back and forth between pellet and gravity. The pellet is definitely the true set and forget. But from what I have gathered, it is almost too set-and-forget. I want to play around a little with the fire. Gotta poke the bear a little in that aspect. The different ways to fuel the gravity seems intriguing to me, albeit all wood for that blue smoke or charcoal for just that heat or the combination of both. Seems to have a little more options in that regard. Now, would I be happy with a pellet? Probably. Just kind of in the "paralysis by analysis" mode right now.

Reactions: JLeonard
FYI - There is a least one manufacturer that has a pellet hopper on one end a firebox on the other.
That way you would have both. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: JLeonard
Well I did some searching.
I must have been thinking about offset/pellet build that was done or is being done on the forum.
However, I didn't lie, Pitts&Spitts has one.
They are pretty proud of as it is very pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: lark9onyx
Hello all.

Up here in the Seattle area. Have been reading lots on here for the past few weeks. Looking to purchase a gravity fed (wish to have a stick burner one day, but with a one year old... there is no time to sit for hours on end). I have smoked for a few years on a Weber Kettle with a little bit on a cheap Masterbuilt propane smoker I purchased in college (not a big fan, but it "worked").
Anyway. Looking forward to gleaming some information and insight from vast cache of information here.

I have a Stump's baby gravity fed smoker. I really like it. It is insulated and built like a tank and works great in the winter. Price is a bit high but I have found that when it comes to smoking equipment you pretty much get what you pay for. I run it with my own home brew PID controller.

JC :emoji_cat:
20190526_062014_HDR_resized.jpg

North Bellevue in bridle trails neighborhood.
Nice! I am actually more located in the East Gate / Newport hills area.
Any places you'd recommend for wood to smoke? Looking for local areas, but its a bit overwhelming

I have a Stump's baby gravity fed smoker. I really like it. It is insulated and built like a tank and works great in the winter. Price is a bit high but I have found that when it comes to smoking equipment you pretty much get what you pay for. I run it with my own home brew PID controller.

JC :emoji_cat: View attachment 670518
Totally agree that you get what you pay for! The masterbuilt propane smoker does what it needed to. How do you like the vertical configuration? I find it makes a mess when I slide the drawers out to either baste or rotate.

Well I did some searching.
I must have been thinking about offset/pellet build that was done or is being done on the forum.
However, I didn't lie, Pitts&Spitts has one.
They are pretty proud of as it is very pricey.
This would be awesome, but unfortunately out of the budget. Thanks for the link, though.

I looked at the reqteqs and they are nice. Can't say I'm not a little jealous!
Well, you are looking for a new grill, these are awesome. I cook everything at 180 until 180 is too low and then go up. The smoke flavor is good, everyone I feed loves everything I cook except SWMBO, who just tells me I smoke meet too often. And, I only use lumberjack pellets. IMO, they are the best, except mesquite, which is a blend.

Well, you are looking for a new grill, these are awesome. I cook everything at 180 until 180 is too low and then go up. The smoke flavor is good, everyone I feed loves everything I cook except SWMBO, who just tells me I smoke meet too often. And, I only use lumberjack pellets. IMO, they are the best, except mesquite, which is a blend.
I'm very impressed that it the reqteq holds that low. I did not know that.

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky