Hello from Snoqualmie, WA - new guy already with questions!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weevil

Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Snoqualmie, WA
Hello all - I am still a newbie and have owned my Master Forge gas smoker (from Lowes) for about a year.  I have had some success so far with smoking pork shoulders 4 times (as well as a whole chicken once) but am still new.  I have already enrolled in Jeff's 5 day ecourse and got my first chapter today.

I got into smoking meats from a colleague who brought in his pork and brisket a few times.  Well that and a local vendor that I've dumped a lot of money on. :)  I am willing to smoke about any meat; however, I want to minimize failure so as to not waste good meat.  My ultimate goal is to smoke pork ribs that are as good as the local vendor that I continue to visit!

In my limited experience, I have come across a few questions that I've love any input on.  However, I'm sure some of them will be covered in the ecourse.

1) Can I use wood smoking pellets (Traeger) in my Master Forge grill?  If so, how much should I put in my burn pan and how often?  Lastly, do pellets need to be soaked in water beforehand just as I do with my wood chips?

2) I've heard that a majority of smoke penetration occurs within the first couple hours of smoking.  Is this true and if so, can the rest of the cooking occur in the oven?  My coworker swears by smoking his pork/brisket for 4-6 hours and then covering it in a pan with some fluid (he typically uses light beer) at 400 degrees for a couple hours to ensure it is cooked and he says it helps with breakdown for pulling it.

3) What is the key to getting pork shoulder to break down where it can easily be pulled apart?  In the 4 times I've done pork shoulder, only once did it even somewhat pull apart.  However, in all cases it was very tasty. :)  To note, I did follow my coworkers method (I didn't know any better) of a few hours in the smoker and 2 hours in the oven (using apple juice and water as liquid).

4) Today I saw the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker for smokers and it looks very interesting.  Anyone tried one of these and if so, should it work in my smoker as well?

Thanks in advance for all the help!  I've been reading through the forum and everyone appears to be very helpful and nice!

Alan

Hi Weevil! 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!!
Hello all - I am still a newbie and have owned my Master Forge gas smoker (from Lowes) for about a year.  I have had some success so far with smoking pork shoulders 4 times (as well as a whole chicken once) but am still new.  I have already enrolled in Jeff's 5 day ecourse and got my first chapter today.

I got into smoking meats from a colleague who brought in his pork and brisket a few times.  Well that and a local vendor that I've dumped a lot of money on. :)  I am willing to smoke about any meat; however, I want to minimize failure so as to not waste good meat.  My ultimate goal is to smoke pork ribs that are as good as the local vendor that I continue to visit!

In my limited experience, I have come across a few questions that I've love any input on.  However, I'm sure some of them will be covered in the ecourse.

1) Can I use wood smoking pellets (Traeger) in my Master Forge grill?  Not really. If so, how much should I put in my burn pan and how often? They will burn too fast in the chip pan.   Lastly, do pellets need to be soaked in water beforehand just as I do with my wood chips? Never soak pellets, they will expand and fall apart and never burn.

2) I've heard that a majority of smoke penetration occurs within the first couple hours of smoking.  Is this true and if so, can the rest of the cooking occur in the oven? Yes. My coworker swears by smoking his pork/brisket for 4-6 hours and then covering it in a pan with some fluid (he typically uses light beer) at 400 degrees for a couple hours to ensure it is cooked and he says it helps with breakdown for pulling it. A lot of people foil at some point in the process but we go by temperature and not time.

3) What is the key to getting pork shoulder to break down where it can easily be pulled apart? Cook it to the correct internal temperature(IT). A pork shoulder or butt will usually take 1.5 - 2 hours per pound, but you can't just go by time, you have to go by temp. If you want it to pull and be very tender it must go to an IT of 190* - 200*.  In the 4 times I've done pork shoulder, only once did it even somewhat pull apart.  However, in all cases it was very tasty. :)  To note, I did follow my coworkers method (I didn't know any better) of a few hours in the smoker and 2 hours in the oven (using apple juice and water as liquid). Unless it was very small (3 - 4 lbs) 5 hours is not near long enough. 

At what temp were you cooking at? Most cook pork at anywhere from 200* to 250* and it takes up to 2 hour/lb to get it to an IT of 200*

4) Today I saw the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker for smokers and it looks very interesting.  Anyone tried one of these almost everyone on this site uses one  and if so, should it work in my smoker as well? The AMNPS will not work very well in a propane smoker without some modifications to the smoker, but the AMNTS (tube smoker) has been showing very good results in propane.

Thanks in advance for all the help!  I've been reading through the forum and everyone appears to be very helpful and nice!

Alan

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  Glad you joined us!

If you need any help roaming around here..just shout!  Happy to help!

Kat

Welcome! Just up the road from you I'm Arlington. Sounds like S2K9K hit the nail on the head with your questions. Don't be afraid to ask, lot's of knowledgable and friendly folks here to answer your questions.

Thanks Dave and everyone else that replied!  First off, my apologies for posting questions in this forum.  I now realize that I should have posted the questions in the Gas Smoker forum.  With that said, let me know if I should move my replies/questions over there!

To follow up on Dave's answers and questions:

1) If I were to move my chip pan up a little higher, would using pellets in the chip pan be feasible?  Or is it pretty much out of the question as I'd just be wasting money due to how fast my gas smoker would burn through the pellets? 

2) The pork shoulder roasts I've done so far are fairly small - 4-6 lbs.  I've usually had them in the smoker for ~6 hours at 200-250 degrees and then in oven for a couple of hours foiled at 400.  For temperature, I was using a deep thermometer and making sure it was at the recommended temp for pork. I don't know that I'll continue using that method (very high heat) if it is counter-productive for pulled pork.  Follow up question: When do you actually pull the pork?  Right away after internal temp is 190-200 or should you wait 1/2 hour?

3) You noted that that AMNPS will not work very well in my propane smoker without modifications.  Is this due to insufficient air flow and is the "modification" similar to the mailbox attachment method? :)  Let's say I were to get the AMNTS...what is the suggested setup?  Remove the chip pan, fill the water pan with sand, set the AMNTS on top of the sand, and use a foil tent over the tube to prevent dripping directly on it?

Thanks again everyone!  I'm trying to absorb all of the help suggestions I can and then go from there to do my own thing. :)

Alan

welcome1.gif
  Wecome, Weevil!

Looks like most of your questions have been answered. I don't own a Master Forge, so can't advise you on that.

If you want your pork butt tender enough to pull, you have to go low-n-slow all the way. It'll hit a point mid-way thru the cooking process where the IT will stop for a time, and may even go down. This is called the "Stall". That is the point where the tough collagens are breaking down and becoming tender gelatins. This only happens at low heat. So pushing up the heat to 400° may give your butt the finish IT, but at the expense of tenderness.

So are you a fan of MO's? I've never been there, but it's been my experience that very few bbq joints around here can produce anything better than what you can make at home, with some practice.

Thanks Dave and everyone else that replied!  First off, my apologies for posting questions in this forum.  I now realize that I should have posted the questions in the Gas Smoker forum.  With that said, let me know if I should move my replies/questions over there!

To follow up on Dave's answers and questions:

1) If I were to move my chip pan up a little higher, would using pellets in the chip pan be feasible? I doubt it.   Or is it pretty much out of the question as I'd just be wasting money due to how fast my gas smoker would burn through the pellets? Yes, I think they would just burn too fast.

2) The pork shoulder roasts I've done so far are fairly small - 4-6 lbs.  I've usually had them in the smoker for ~6 hours at 200-250 degrees and then in oven for a couple of hours foiled at 400.  For temperature, I was using a deep thermometer and making sure it was at the recommended temp for pork. I don't know that I'll continue using that method (very high heat) if it is counter-productive for pulled pork. Right, if you are going to move it to an oven keep the oven the same temp your smoker was.   Follow up question: When do you actually pull the pork?  Right away after internal temp is 190-200 or should you wait 1/2 hour? Most of us will wrap in foil and put it in a cooler wrapped in some towels for 1 - 2 hours, the rest time allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.

3) You noted that that AMNPS will not work very well in my propane smoker without modifications.  Is this due to insufficient air flow correct, not enough O2, the propane burns it all up. and is the "modification" similar to the mailbox attachment method? That one does work, here's what I did External Fire Box:)  Let's say I were to get the AMNTS...what is the suggested setup?  Remove the chip pan, fill the water pan with sand, set the AMNTS on top of the sand, and use a foil tent over the tube to prevent dripping directly on it? I've seen where they are just laying it in the chip pan or on the bottom rack, I guess on to of the sand would work too.

Thanks again everyone!  I'm trying to absorb all of the help suggestions I can and then go from there to do my own thing. :)

Alan

As I've already noticed from other threads, everyone here is awesome and patient. Thank you!!! Now to convince the wife I need to invest more in my smoker. :)

Mneeley490 - Haven't been to Mo's yet in downtown Snoqualmie - been meaning to. Usually get my fix from Big House BBQ. The owner Neil pulls a large trailer and parks across from the Home Depot in Issaquah during the week. I aspire to someday be as good as his brisket, ribs and pulled pork. :)

Take your pork shoulder up to a internal temp of 200 and should pull better for you...I let mine rest for 30 min to a hour...just do not let them cool too much or will be harder to pull apart.

As I've already noticed from other threads, everyone here is awesome and patient. Thank you!!! Now to convince the wife I need to invest more in my smoker. :)
AH, the ole "need the wife's permission" excuse..
pot.gif
  Welcome to the group and your new addiction!! I'm confident you will find a way...we always do.

Weevil....I have a gasser....and have purchased the tube from Todd.  I plan on putting mine on the bottom rung near where the chip pan rests...there is a vent there on mine.  Probably going to test it out next weekend.  Todd can send you a PM with a link to a guy who tested the tube one out and it shows where to place it inside.  He sent me that link and it was easy to visualize!  If I still have that message I will send you a pm with it.

Kathryn - how did the tube work out for you on your gas smoker?  After contacting Todd I went ahead and ordered one over the weekend.

Also, a big "thank you" to everyone who responded to my questions on this thread!!  I did 2 5 lb. pork shoulders yesterday, staying true to the "low and slow" (with a few spikes when I left it too long and the wood caught fire)with a total time of about 7.5 hours until the internal temp was about 195-200 degrees.  Came out the best ever!!!  Shredded easily and I had to cut my 3 year old off from eating too much of it in fear he'd get a tummy ache!  Used cherry for the first time mixed with hickory (my favorite).  Brought the rest in to work and my coworkers went hog wild over it. ;)  Bad me, no pics.  I'll try to remember next time.

Next smoke will be with the AMNTS - I'm hoping that will help a lot with temperature control on my gas smoker.  Every time the wood burned through, I'd get a fire in the pan that would spike the heat.

Thanks again everyone!

Didnt get it seasoned yet....but my new SV came in today.  Going to use it this weekend.  I know it's going to work great.  I will probably post pics using it this weekend.  You will love it from what I have heard from the others that use them.  I plan on it working great!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky