hello from n. dakota

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pitbullcrazy30

Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
hello, im new here, i just wanted to say hi
icon_biggrin.gif
my hubby and i just bought a new masterbuilt smoker and we just put our very first batch of jerky in it..i cant wait to learn more from you pro,s on here. nice to meet all of ya!!

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you join us.

Welcome to SMF Pit. Sign up for the 5 day ecourse[ lots of good info in there. Be sure not to dry the jerky too much. What kind of cure did you use on it?

thank all of you for the nice welcome
icon_smile.gif
i used cabelas pepper blend on my jerkey, ive used it before and really liked it, and id like to learn how to make my own too, ill have to search on here for good recipies!!

Welcome to the Forum. I know you will enjoy yourself.

Take some pictures of your next smoke. We love to see the Q-View.

Skip

Welcome to the forum my dear. I'm sure that you and your husband will be able to find out most anything you want to know. If you don't see something, just ask. I garontee that someone here has smoked it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to SMF! I use a Masterbuilt, too, and have no complaints. Make yourself at home and browse around. There is a lot of info here and it will take a while to make it through the part you are interested in.

I'll toss ya a simple cure recipe:

Morton's Tenderquick curing agent: 1 level tablespoon per Lb. of lean meat- T.Q. is a cure AND salt...no need to add salt!

For 5 lbs meat:
5 Tbsp T.Q.
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp CBP
1 or so cups of water

Boil water, reduce to simmer, toss all ingredients in and simmer for 5 min or so to meld flavors. Pour over jerked meat, let rest for 24 hours outside/fridged before smoking/drying.

BASIC recipe..feel free to experiment! If ya like a bit of zinnnng..1 Tbsp red pepper flakes...HOT 2 Tbsp. Try rosemary, savory, paprika celery powder...etc.

I also add bourbon to the mix, AFTER heating, and cooled. The alchohol helps dissolve some of the essential oils in the peppers/seasonings.

I've been in the Air Force for over 21 years now, and love to cook. Growing up on me grandfather's fish farm in Arkansas, I learned to love hunting, fishing, and cooking early in life: gosh what else does a fellow need!
icon_lol.gif

I'm not a "pit-master" but I have successfully hosted my church's annual pig roast for the last 7 years. The most I've ever served was around 300+.
This year I made my own smoker out of a 1948, 9.5 ft x 30" diameter propane tank. I made/welded up a 30" firebox, custom frame and placed it on a 3500lb axle. Nothing too fancy but it was my first hack at such a project, and am pretty happy with how it smokes so far. I cook with hardwoods, but I'm thinking about putting in a secondary heat source in the cooking chamber such as propane/natural gas so I can use it in the colder weather out here in Colorado. It is really hard to get the tank up to heat on cold/windy and/or rainy days.

Glad to be here. Lived in Nashville since 98'. Love to fish and enjoy most sports along with the outdoors. I have a masterbulit electric smoker for about a year. Still learning alot with it. A Vikings and Titan fan. Married with 3 girls. Looking forward to the site.

Dakota

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky