Hello From Indiana!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sethc1020

Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Hows it going all? Life long griller and smoker and have always been a Weber man. Recently decided to get an Old Country Wrangler and about to do my fist cook with a butt. Any suggestions or tips out there from other Wrangler owners?

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! Have to got your new offset broke in and seasoned? Do you have a separate thermometer that'll show you the temperature inside the cook chamber at the level the meat is sitting at? RAY

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! Have to got your new offset broke in and seasoned? Do you have a separate thermometer that'll show you the temperature inside the cook chamber at the level the meat is sitting at? RAY
No dont have a separate thermometer at grate level yet. Ive seen that people have drilled holes in the lid to add additional thermometers and some use digital. Not sure which way I want to go yet. I did season it a bit the first night with a few pieces of hickory and let it smoke.

Well did my first cook on the new Wrangler. Did a butt, smoked for about 6hrs spraying it down with apple juice every 2 hrs. At the 6hr mark I wrapped in foil and let it go for another 3 hrS until the internal temp reached 203. Turned out GREAT!!! Cooked a lot of butts in my day but this may have been the best one Ive ever smoked. Love this smoker already!

Attachments

• 20200620_131233.jpg
    20200620_131233.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200620_175015.jpg
    20200620_175015.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200620_184909.jpg
    20200620_184909.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
Welcome fellow Hoosier!!! Avoid drilling holes, just get a good calibrated thermometer probe set that supports at least two probes, 1 for grate temps (these are different than meat probes) and 1 for the meat. You can easily close the lid on the wires leading out to the receiving unit. Personally I use Thermoworks but there are others that work as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky