Hello from Houston!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ivysmom

Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Houston, TX
Howdy folks! My name is Holly, and I'm in Houston, Texas. I'm a married 40-something with a kid in Pre-K, and a house with a back yard near downtown. I work in the O&G industry as a finance analyst (lots of time in front of spreadsheets, and talking with engineers about their costs) at a ginormous multi-national company.

I grew up in this city, and have very fond memories of my Dad's home-built brick smoker. The thing was HUGE -- probably 6’ tall and a good 3' deep. He was a big fan of smoking, and by default, so was I. Nothing but charcoal and small logs of mesquite. I remember first seeing those chunks of twisted prickly scrub brush tree cut into 18" chunks in storage of the side of the smoker, and I knew that meant a brisket (or whole Thanksgiving turkey) was on the way soon. *DROOL*

Fast forward 30+ years, and now that we are finally homeowners, I convinced DH that we needed to build a patio in the bare backyard. So, lots of sweat equity and a few months later, we have an awesome raised 13’ x 13’ patio, with a ground-level 10’ x 10’ patio adjacent to it. The kitchen inside is tiny, and as soon as we moved in 2 years ago I started thinking about an outdoor kitchen. A full-blown one is just too pricey, and would more or less lock me into a gas grill if I went with an island. I’m more of a charcoal gal. At first, I was eyeing the Char-Griller Duo 5050 for its versatility, but I really wanted to get into smoking more (plus we have a little portable charcoal grill which is fine for now) so I figured go with something built for ONE task to do it well… and I’ll be picking up a WSM today or this weekend to get started. Pictures will follow soon J

Now, I’ve appreciated smoked meat my whole life, but I’m a total novice at MAKING it, so a place like SMF is an AWESOME find, and I gotta say I’m totally inspired and impressed by the September fatty throwdown. Wow.

Anyhow, there’s a bit about me. Looking forward to talking with ya’ll here J

Hi Holly! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Just found an old (1982 or so) photo of Dad's smoker. That's my younger brother and sister sitting on it. I had actually forgotten there was a pit in it! The taller part in the back is where he'd smoke turkeys and brisket. Off to the right are clay chambers where the wood was kept.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky