Hatch Chile Enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been running the gamut with the Hatch chilies recently. The fresh ones are gone now it appears but I made this dinner last week. Was in the mood for Mexican so thought I'd do a Tex Mex twist on an old staple and incorporate the Hatch chilies in some enchiladas.

Start out cutting up a big Hatch pepper and some onions.
001.jpg

Next is to make the enchilada sauce. This stuff is righteous and absolutely legit.. Recipe has been posted but still available upon request.
002.jpg

Brown some ground beef, drain it, and season with my taco seasoning. This recipe also has been posted but is available upon request.
003.jpg

Mix the onions and peppers into the meat and let simmer for just a few minutes.
004.jpg

Lay some refried beans on a tort and add some of the meat mixture, then roll it up.
005.jpg

Got 5 enchiladas out of the meat before running out.
006.jpg

A generous amount of the enchilada sauce and a whole bunch of extra sharp white cheddar cheese.
007.jpg

Onto the grill. No way am I gonna fire up the oven.
008.jpg

All done and plated with some fresh avocado. A boring plate but I just didn't feel like cooking anything else.
009.jpg

The obligatory cut shot.
010.jpg

And for our Canadian friend who's wardrobe consists only of a burlap thong and a wooden barrel, the close up shot. Sloppy but delicious.
011.jpg

I'm still waiting for said Canadian friend to take the plunge over Niagara Falls in the attire noted above :emoji_laughing: That one goes back a while. Seriously now....these were just off the charts good. The sauce and meat had a really nice spiciness to them with deep, rich flavors and the fresh avocado really balanced it all out. These were done a week or so ago and now after posting them, I'm thinking they may find their way onto the menu for this evening :emoji_wink: We do love our Mexican food around here and it's always so much better when using all homemade seasonings, and the sauce also. You just don't find flavors this good in a restaurant.

Well, off to try and invent something for dinner this evening...maybe a derivative of this in some capacity. Y'all take care and try to stay cool. Whatever gets cooked today will most likely be done inside. We hit 104* at noon with the hottest part of the day still to come. Oh joy.....

Robert

Great looking meal!
I agree with you on the heat. Just about can cook a brisket out there with a couple of tea candles and twig for smoke. The cooker therm stays over a 100 degrees without a flame in it already.

Jim

Your sauce looks good. And I liked how you cooked in on the grill instead of oven, even in the heat.
But looks like you're using flour instead of corn. What's with that?

We love our homemade Mexican food too. Just made chile rellenos yesterday with fresh poblanos, no meat, just cheese and homemade sauce. And our Lynchiladas (my wife's name is Lynne) are almost always cheese, no meat, but sometimes green chiles or something similar.

First off , looks great Robert and not a boring plate at all, some times simple is what is called for , and not meaning that it is simple just a nice plate of happiness, all except for those ungodly slaps of GREEN P@@P on top. But that is just me.

As for that fellow in the burlap thong and wooden barrel. Last I heard he was picked up at the bottom of the Falls by " The Maiden of The Mist " , and taken back to Canada with some Back bacon hidden where no one really wants to know. :emoji_blush: :emoji_blush:

And he also said thanks for the close up , lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H and gmc2003
Looks and sounds great Robert I do have a question tho. Whats the difference between an enchilada and a burrito? They look and sound the same to me. Maybe just the sauce?

Point for sure
Chris

Onto the grill. No way am I gonna fire up the oven.
I feel ya brother. It was a scorching 71* here today.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks and sounds great Robert I do have a question tho. Whats the difference between an enchilada and a burrito? They look and sound the same to me. Maybe just the sauce?

Point for sure
Chris
That's pretty much it except usually you would use corn tortillas.

They are usually drenched in salsas and cheese.

Salsa Roja - Chili based sauce (What Robert made)
Salsa Verde - Tomatillo and green chili
Salsa Mole - chili and tomatillo with chocolate

And about a million other variations.

Reactions: gmc2003
Robert @ tx smoker I would love a link or your recipe for both the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. Meal looks great and I really enjoy your posts. You have a real talent and your detailed posts have inspired me to try some new recipes and ingredients

Heck Yeah! Looks delicious. That was going to be my next Hatch Pepper dish. That last dish I made I used some hot ones and man it was about to much heat. Kind of ended my Hatch Chiles for the year.

Great looking meal!
Thanks so much Jim. Not really that great looking but it was tasty.
I agree with you on the heat. Just about can cook a brisket out there with a couple of tea candles and twig for smoke. The cooker therm stays over a 100 degrees without a flame in it already.
Yep, I get it. Even with all the insulation, when the afternoon sun hits the Hy Fyre the therm is reading over 150. Hopefully a little reprieve coming in the next couple of days though.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Your sauce looks good.
Thank you sir. It took some time to dial it in but now that it's where I want it, we love the stuff.
But looks like you're using flour instead of corn. What's with that?
Valid question and I have what I believe is a valid answer. The answer is that we absolutely hate corn tortillas. To me they have a funky, almost rancid taste to them. I've tried and tried to like them because they are so commonly used but it's just not happening. I'll stick to flour torts than you :emoji_wink:

Robert

First off , looks great Robert and not a boring plate at all, some times simple is what is called for
Thank you David. You know I prefer to showcase nice looking meals here. Not the case with this one but the meal was very good so thought I'd share it in case somebody else might find it interesting.
all except for those ungodly slaps of GREEN P@@P on top. But that is just me.
WHAT?? Are you some sort of a Canadian communist or something? :emoji_laughing: All normal people love avocados....art least in this part of the world.
As for that fellow in the burlap thong and wooden barrel. Last I heard he was picked up at the bottom of the Falls by " The Maiden of The Mist " , and taken back to Canada with some Back bacon hidden where no one really wants to know.
Man, so sorry to hear he got picked up and all that Back Bacon got confiscated. At least now we now know why y'all call it "back" bacon and how you get the funky flavors developed in the meat :emoji_astonished:
And he also said thanks for the close up , lol
Only for you my friend, only for you :emoji_wink: Got another thread coming soon to a theater near you with more of those amazing AVOCADOS on it that you just love so much. Lots and lots of them....just for your viewing pleasure.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Burrito
Fillings are rolled with the ends sealed in a large 12"-16"+ flour tortilla.
Sometimes served smothered, but most often served as a handheld item.

Enchilada
Fillings are rolled with ends open in a 8"-10" corn tortilla.
The tortillas are usually lightly fried and sauced before filling and rolling.
Arranged in a baking dish, lightly sauced and topped with cheese, and then baked.
Most commonly used sauces are red, green and brown.

And I'll add one more here.

Chimichanga
Generally a large burrito that is deep fried and commonly served topped with sauce and other toppings.

Looks and sounds great Robert I do have a question tho. Whats the difference between an enchilada and a burrito?
Appreciate the accolades Chris. Some folks have already filled in the blanks but from what I've experienced here in TX is an enchilada is typically much smaller than a burrito and only filled with seasoned meat. A burrito is considerable larger and loaded with rice, beans, and whatever else the "chef" wants to put into it. Don't know if you have a restaurant chain near you called Freebird's World Burritos or not but they are pretty popular around here....I have no idea why though. Went once a long time ago and was disappointed beyond belief. You pick your protein and they put about a teaspoon of it on a huge tortilla. Then they add a ton of rice and beans of your choice. At the end you have a huge burrito but it's all rice and beans. Not what I want for a meal so I won't be back.

Robert

.You pick your protein and they put about a teaspoon of it on a huge tortilla. Then they add a ton of rice and beans of your choice. At the end you have a huge burrito but it's all rice and beans. Not what I want for a meal so I won't be back.

Robert
Yup, another chain restaurant (forgot name) does the same. I call them Riceritos. :emoji_laughing:
Don't go there either.

Just now seeing this....Looks great! Post links to the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning please. Been wanting come enchiladas and yours look awesome! Congrats on the Carousel ride!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky