??? hacked ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killbuck

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
WNY (Seneca Reservation)
Have we been hacked or what? The only way I can get anywhere here is through Google. Even when I do and click on a post or thread I get a site tht related to smoking but it's albout cigarettes! Anyone else having this problem? It's only on this site. I don't have any problems with any other smoking sites.

Yep, my thoughts exactly...same sight showed up for me too, when I hit the refresh button...wasn't able to google up a correct link to the forum or anything...the address didn't show an error, it just took me to the wrong site, until just before I could get back on after 20 or 30 minutes...then an arroer appeared and the next try, here am I am!

Eric

My guess is the site was down for maintenance. The mods of this site are great, but they have to do maintenance sometimes. Could be a hack, but doubtful.

to my knowledge we were not hacked. What exactly was happening to you? I got here just fine today. Just went to smokingmeatforums.com and it popped up.

I was taken to the default search page for my DNS server. When that happens, most of the time it means maintenace was done on some server very near the backbone of wherever SMF is hosted. Routers around the web lose the SMF URL, and it takes some time for that info to repropigate around servers/routers on the web.

My guess is there was a hic-up somewhere.

That's more likely BigSteve...it defaulted to a DNS search engine for 'smokers'. I'm guessing it was localized...someone's DNS server probably took a dump.

I think you guys are right about someones DNS server. Thanks for bringing this up though. Never hurts to check again.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Bmudd..... Me too. I was reading a post then clicked on a different one and viola I was at a different place. Nothing I did could get me back to smf. If you put Smoking Meat forums into google It took you to a site advertising lots of stop smoking links. the header on the website was Smoking meat forums.com It was one of those annoying generic re-route websites.

I clicked on my usual bookmark to open up the site and it took me to a different site. A site related to smoking only it was cigarettes on quitting, etc. I forgot to copy the addy. I went to google and type in smokingmeatforums and none of the sites worked, they just took me right to the site I mentioned before. So then I tried here:

smokingmeatforums.com - Site Information from Alexa
Alexa Site Overview for smokingmeatforums.com - learn more about Smoking Meat Forums statistics, where visitors come from, who owns the site, what are some ...
www.alexa.com/data/details/main/smokingmeatforums.com - Similar

That opened up and gave me the link to our site. I clicked on it and let me get in. I had a friend here and she thouht it was very strange indeed.

This happened 4 times today. After I got in I went to answer a post and was taken back to the cigarette site. I got back in again thu google and when ever I click on a different forum here I'd get kicked off again to the same dumb site. Mext time if it happens I send you the addy of the site.

Thanks,
Killbuck

Also , that site should show up in my History. But when I go into my history of visited sites and click on the time it was bouncing me all over no luck. It always takes me the the real SMF. Somehow the SMF www. address was stolen for about 1/2 hour this morning.

Very strange.
mad.gif
very annoying.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky