Grocery store crossing the line

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyt

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
I just got back from shopping at my local Roundy's Pick and save and I felt like I was getting arrested, and I wish I had a do over. I go through the checkout punched my phone number into the credit card reader to get my loyalty discount or what ever new word they have for it nowadays, because I also bought beer and wine coolers I had to show my drivers license for proof of age (I am 52) but okay, they ring up my food and I write the check and give it to the kid at the register. He then looks at me and says I need to see your drivers license. I told him I already showed it to you for the alcahol but he needs to see it again. Getting a little annoyed I took out my wallet and showed it to him again. He says I need you to take it out of your wallet and hand it to me.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
He puches my number in to the register and hands me my license back.
What I wish I had done was said give me back my check and keep the groceries and walked out
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Who the he** do these people think they are. I hate walmart but after today it is getting closer

Thats baloney. WalMart is just as bad though. I'm only 24, so I don't mind when I get ID'd, even though I look closer to 30 haha. Getting ID'd for Copenhagen is a little more frustrating though.

Place Both Hands On The Counter, Feet Back And Spread Em... You Have The Right To Remain Silent...
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

Good that you didn't order Cigarettes too, he would have asked you again...
icon_mrgreen.gif

They must really be tough on checking ages in your state or you have a face like **** Clark that never ages... Most States Say Card if the buyer looks under 26 yrs old...

I haven't been carded in years, hell, since I turned 21 I had only been carded a few times but can't remember the last time I got carded for booze.
Went to the store the other day for some cough medicine and the kid at the register actually carded me
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Did you tell him it was for the cough you got smoking cigarettes and drinking all night...
icon_mrgreen.gif

carding , damn I thought that was for my Sr discount at the meat locker ! Be happy , you won't get many more ...........

I was behind one guy who got carded and did the mental math he was 86. This store cards everybody even if they know you personally, Which is okay, protects them from liability and as a parent I have no problem with that. But come on, 3 types of ID checks from a grocery store I have been shopping at for over 20 years for a single purchase.

Some states, or counties, or cities, have ordinances that require a show of ID if booze is being purchased, no matter what the age. Yeah your clerk was an idiot not paying attention to your purchases to make the inconvenience as minimum as possible.

I'm in my late 50s and it is a bad joke when they card me.

The clerk was an idiot for not handling it all at the same time but maybe he did not see the check you were writing

I ran liquor stores for 20 years in CA and if I had one now, every single person would get carded. One of the reasons is a little known offense the ABC can get you for - no matter what age you are the store can be fined if you do not have your ID with you. I have been out of that business for 15 years so they may have changed it but that used to be the rule. I know several stores here in CA that got fined $500 cause of that.

That, supposedly, is one of the reasons that every bar in every airport cards every patron - That one is beyone me since you have to have an ID to get thru security but who am I to argue at 63
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Don't shoot the messenger; he's just doing his job. I'm a retail store manager and fraud, theft, illegal ID's and bad checks are RAMPANT, costing companies millions and millions of dollars every WEEK. Companies have to put in very stringent rules and employees are REQUIRED to follow them to the letter or they're fired, period. Failure to properly check an ID is not worth losing your job over in these times, and even the pimply-faced kid needs his money as much as you need your's at your job. You have to remove the ID from a wallet because if you handed him the wallet you could claim he took something from it, and people with illegal ID's cover up certain watermarks and places where identifications are supposed to be that he's trained to look for. He is just following his training; please have more consideration for what he has to ask of you; it's not his idea by any means to piss you off; he has supervisors watching and listening to everything he says and does judging if he's doing the right job and if he's not then bang, he's gone. If he is asking everyone for the same steps then be thankful he's doing his job correctly; if you had your ID stolen you'd WANT him to be following these policies so they could get YOUR stolen card back! Please have some patience and understanding, they're doing what they're trained to do and hate upsetting you, believe me.

Well the drinking is accurate but I don't smoke, well I don't smoke cigarettes, tried them, didn't like them.
Now something that is completely natural and arguably good for you...now that is a completely different kind of smoke that I do enjoy
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Ok maybe I'm paranoid here but what numbers did he punch into the register, your B'day, license number or you ss#?

Maybe that kid was Dyslexic LOL, ID anyone under 62
biggrin.gif
I usually give them the number to out local sheriffs office when they ask or sometimes I tell the its 123-45-67. Some of them figure that one out, others don't. It's fun to watch the ones look up at you when you give it to them with that perplexed look on their face LOL

No I entered my phone number and they had all of my info, probably every thing there is to know about me, Checked my ID for the liquor purchase and then wanted to see my license again. I don't blame the kid at the checkout is the store policies that pi** me off, on the way out I talked to a woman I know who works there, heck I know 20% of the people who work there and she told me they just started doing random checks, the register counts so many people and then asks for a ID. Too bad we cant do that at airports.

I already called Roundys in Milwaukee to complain, The lady I spoke to said she also didn't understand why I was being checked so many times and that a reigonal manager would be contacting me. If they dont want to take my money, fine. But too many places that have no right to our information keep asking for it.

It is amazing to me how we accept the total invasion of privacy and rationalize how all this personal information that is collected is "for our own good" or "for our own protection".

For example, if you have a "loyalty card" for the any of the major food chains, you probably believe that it is great that you get a certain percentage discount on your purchases. What you probably have never thought about is that when you signed up for that card, you provided your name, home address, telephone number and, in many cases your bank account or credit card number... or both. Since everything is on computer, your entire purchase goes into a database, then they scan your loyalty card. That means that somewhere in the computer files of the food chain there is a complete history that John Smith has a preference for Stoly Vodka, buys Playboy magazine and bought feminine sanitary products. Is it not possible that this type of marketing information is sold by the stores to manufacturers? The same holds true if you use a credit card for your purchases, (do you get those really useful "year end recaps" from your credit card company that are so useful in filing your income tax? Think that the same info might be sold by that same credit card company to marketersor shared with Uncle Sam?)

In every major metropolitan area you are under surveillance by untold numbers of video cameras, many of which are equipped with face recognition ability. "So what?" you might say. What difference does it make if your image has been captured by law enforcement if you have done nothing wrong? It is called a reasonable expectation of privacy... in the US it is a direct violation of any number Constitutional guarantees, including the right against self-incrimination.

Where is all this likely to lead? Might I suggest reading or re-reading a little story by author George Orwell... it's title? "1984". (His companion volume "Brave New World" and Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" will help fuel the paranoia).

Happy New Year all... sleep tight... Big Brother is Watching!

I'm 52 also Gary, and got carded buying a 6pack at gas station in Nashville from a kid who I KNOW wasn't 21 himself... he didn't look a day over 16.

I told him "I got one gray hair for EVERY DAY I'm over 21!!!!!"

"I still need to see your I.D. sir...."

Oh brother
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am relieved and thankful when I am asked for ID..........with all the creeps out there trying to steal identities from hard working citizens I find it refreshing when a clerk asks for ID.

I even write "Request Photo ID" on the back of my credit card as well as my bank cards.

Now that's a good Idea, I have never had anyone even check my card for a signature

I got that beat.

I got carded at Home Depot. I asked why and was told it was because of the spray paint that I was buying.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am 45, half bald, grey beard and over weight! Go figure.

I told the girl that any kid that dies from sniffing spray paint is part of what is called "Natural selection" and should be given free paint to sniff

Sorry if that is offensive but I have a low tolerance for such things

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky