Grinder: 500 watts vs 1/2 HP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RedSkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 11, 2020
Sienna, TX
When looking for a grinder I often find that a 500 W unit is cheaper than a 1/2 hp unit. However, 500 W is more than 1/2 hp when you do the mathematical conversation. 1 hp = 748 W.

Is this a marketing gimmick because folks don’t understand the units, or is there something mechanically I’m missing?

I suspect that the 500 W cheaper in cost unit may use plastic components, but often hard to really determine from online details.

Any thoughts from the Sausage crowd?

- Skip

Good question. I often wonder about things like this because so much goes into a product on the shelf catching your eye. The devil is in the details.

Not 100 sure how they measure the 500w, probably peak watts to make it look more impressive. There is a reason they use watts instead of HP. Use price/quality as a guide.

RG

Typically when you see watts you will notice the motors run at a higher RPM and are very noisy but they do not have the same gearing/torque as the ones that measure in HP. For example is you watch this video the middle one technically has more watts than the big guy. The Cabela's 1/2hp is a 370 watt induction motor which is less wattage then the other unit. But that being said it runs quieter and at lower RPM. It also grinds the meat faster.

From what I can find it comes down to how you work the numbers. Its like the Chevy 5.7 engine vs the 5.3 which replaced the 5.7 in 200. The 5.3 has more HP at a higher RPM but had lower torque.

If the end its marketing.

If I were you I would look at how much you want to make. It your going to do large batches then go with the 1/2hp with the #8 plate. It will have a bigger throat and all then the cheaper unit. Run quieter and with more ease and in the end be a better longer lasting product.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Typically when you see watts you will notice the motors run at a higher RPM and are very noisy but they do not have the same gearing/torque as the ones that measure in HP. For example is you watch this video the middle one technically has more watts than the big guy. The Cabela's 1/2hp is a 370 watt induction motor which is less wattage then the other unit. But that being said it runs quieter and at lower RPM. It also grinds the meat faster.

From what I can find it comes down to how you work the numbers. Its like the Chevy 5.7 engine vs the 5.3 which replaced the 5.7 in 200. The 5.3 has more HP at a higher RPM but had lower torque.

If the end its marketing.

If I were you I would look at how much you want to make. It your going to do large batches then go with the 1/2hp with the #8 plate. It will have a bigger throat and all then the cheaper unit. Run quieter and with more ease and in the end be a better longer lasting product.

Just my 2 cents.

This all makes sense, difficult part is we don’t know the performance until it’s out of the box and on the counter. Whether that be torque, RPMs, etc.

This all makes sense, difficult part is we don’t know the performance until it’s out of the box and on the counter. Whether that be torque, RPMs, etc.
Which grinders are you looking at? There probably isn't a grinder made that someone here doesn't have experience with.

Which grinders are you looking at? There probably isn't a grinder made that someone here doesn't have experience with.
Honestly I’m open to any grinder that’s affordable and has good quality. Looking to make sausage once a month for a small family. $500 is probably my top end on spend considering I want a stuffer too.

Honestly I’m open to any grinder that’s affordable and has good quality. Looking to make sausage once a month for a small family. $500 is probably my top end on spend considering I want a stuffer too.
It depends on how much sausage you want to make. I know lots of members that do smaller 5-10lb batches and love the smaller grinders or even the Kitchen Aid one.

But if your doing larger batches like 25 lbs then you may want to invest in a heavier duty unit.

When I first started I had the KA attachment. Loved the product so much I went and purchased a $100 model(14 years ago). First time using it the gears ground out because of how much product I was trying to put thru it. I returned it and went to the 1/2hp Cabela's unit even though it was 3x the price. I have been very pleased with that decision. Even if its small amounts that I ground having the bigger neck and more powerful unit makes it grind faster. The meat doesn't heat up and because of the bigger neck and stainless steel clean up is easier.

Now that being said when I was doing 100lbs of meat with a friend once I wish I had the 1hp unit for speed but I don't do 100lbs at a time very often.

In the end you have to figure out what is best for you. The video I posted above gives you some good things to think about when deciding what to buy.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the things you produce.

Reactions: RedSkip
I have the Meat! your maker 500w and I think it's fantastic. I had a kitchen aid grinder before and this one is sooo much better. It makes quick work of a pork butt or chuck roast. The most I've ever ground at once is probably 10lbs, but it went very quick.

51E7D033-E1A3-4CF1-A10B-8DA7807460AC.jpeg
small batch 10-15 pounds i use this. Second grind needs to be cold and is slow. Freeze neck and freeze a towel to wrap around neck. 400 watts. 99 on sale. Larger batches I use this.
35D87C75-A227-46AB-9871-C19512A40754.jpeg
AFDF2313-B394-419D-982B-EC8DBA6383B2.jpeg
Heavy, has cold collar but it gets after it. Don’t lend to brother in law though as mine fed the stuffer stick into the auger lol. He replaced. Nothing hurt.

pineywoods pineywoods talked me in the the 32 I think it was. I got it home and said wtf this is huge and heavy. He definitely has to be tougher than me lol. I Returned. The 1hp 22 is pretty heavy also. The 3/4 is probably a good all around size. But I am far from a sausage expert. I think Rick was Nepas the SwFlorida but I can’t remember new name is pretty good at it and I think has the lem 8 that serves him well.

That 99 unit is loud but it’s light, takes up little space and grinds meat. Read the specs online. I have zero knowledge about the 500 watt question. Sorry. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky