Green Chile Stuffed Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everybody talking about Green Chiles, tis the season!
Fueling Around Fueling Around asked if you could stuff chops with chiles, I assured him it was possible and thus had to make some.
I whipped up a batch of really thick Green Chile sauce and some Arroz Mexicana to go with it.

Green Chile Sauce
2T bacon grease
1/2c minced onion
1/2T minced garlic
1/4t cumin
1/2t ground Mexican oregano
Salt/pepper to taste
2T flour
1-1/2c pork or chicken stock
1c finely chopped green chile

Saute onion and garlic in grease till opaque, add flour, cumin and cook for a few minutes more.
Add stock and bring to a boil, cook till thickened, add chiles and Mexican oregano and simmer for 5-10+ minutes depending on how thick you want it.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

View attachment 459692

You need big, thick chops with plenty of room to stuff'em, and thick enough that you have plenty of time for smoking without over cooking.
You can smoke them all the way or finish them on the grill or in a frying pan.
I like to truss mine and keep those slippery chiles from sliding out during the cook.

Two inch thick boneless chops hand carved off tomorrow's pork loin, wet brined for 6 hours and then butterflied.
Seasoned inside and out with a mix of Prairie Dust and granulated garlic/onion, then stuffed with onion, green chile and cheese.
Trussed shut and into a 225°-250° smoker over some mesquite for an hour and a half, then seared in cast iron.

View attachment 459693

View attachment 459694

View attachment 459695

The Finale!

View attachment 459696

View attachment 459697
Wow Good eating right their :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: chilerelleno
Trying to get the wheat this month. Ground is very wet in places.
In the words of Sgt Hulka " I'm getting too old for the s.... tuff!"
The American Farmer, so damned under appreciated.
I mean this sincerely, "Thank you for your hard work. "
Most of us take our food supplies for granted.

<insert Expletive here> yeah!!! I can see my choppers doing a number on those chops. Looks great John.

Point for sure
Chris

Everybody talking about Green Chiles, tis the season!
Fueling Around Fueling Around asked if you could stuff chops with chiles, I assured him it was possible and thus had to make some.
I whipped up a batch of really thick Green Chile sauce and some Arroz Mexicana to go with it.

Green Chile Sauce
2T bacon grease
1/2c minced onion
1/2T minced garlic
1/4t ground cumin
1/2t ground Mexican oregano
Salt/pepper to taste
2T flour
1-1/2c pork or chicken stock
1c finely chopped green chiles

Saute onion and garlic in grease till opaque.
Add flour, cumin and cook for a few minutes more.
Add stock and bring to a boil, cook to desired thickness.
Add chiles and Mexican oregano and simmer for 5-10+ minutes depending on how thick you want it.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

View attachment 459692

You need big, thick chops with plenty of room for stuffings, and thick enough that you have plenty of time for smoking without over cooking.
You can smoke them all the way or finish them on the grill or in a frying pan.
I like to lightly tie mine closed and keep those slippery chiles and cheeses from sliding out during the cook.

Two inch thick boneless chops hand carved off a whole pork loin.
Wet brined for 6 hours and then cut deep pockets.
***Don't butterfly these wide open, you want pockets.***
Seasoned inside and out with a mix of Prairie Dust and granulated garlic/onion, then stuffed with cheese stuffed green chiles and then some thinly sliced onion.
Lightly tie them closed, and then into a 225°-250° smoker over some mesquite for an hour and a half and finished by searing in a cast iron skillet.

View attachment 459693

View attachment 459694

View attachment 459695

The Finale!

View attachment 459696

View attachment 459697
That looks amazing! Wow - I'm going to attempt this on Saturday. In your recipe, is the T for teaspoon or tablespoon? Wow Wow Wow!

1598447652563.png

I knew this was gonna be good from the title and pic... But then the first ingredient listed is Bacon Grease.

yeah_boyeee_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

Great cook Chili! I need to get back on the pork chop train again sometime soon!

View attachment 460270

I knew this was gonna be good from the title and pic... But then the first ingredient listed is Bacon Grease.

View attachment 460272

Great cook Chili! I need to get back on the pork chop train again sometime soon!
LOL... I'm liking all the GIFs y'all been throwing out here as of late.

Thanks Zach,
I sure do like my bacon grease, and everything it does for adding a another layer of flavor to so many things.
My favorite part of bacon grease is all the crunchy bits that settle to the bottom, I can just about spread that like butter on a biscuit and chow down.

But the best part about bacon grease is the bacon, Ya gotta fry and eat some bacon to get bacon grease... Yum!

Dang, I think I better take another Lipitor just to just to be safe after all this talk of bacon and bacon grease.

🐷🥓

Last edited:
Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
LOL... I'm liking all the GIFs y'all been throwing out here as of late.

Thanks Zach,
I sure do like my bacon grease, and everything it does for adding a another layer of flavor to so many things.
But the best part about bacon grease is the bacon, Ya gotta fry some and eat some bacon to get bacon grease... Yum!
My favorite part of bacon grease is all the crunchy bits that settle to the bottom, I can just about spread that like butter on a biscuit and chow down.

Dang, I think I better take another Lipitor just to just to be safe after all this talk of bacon and bacon grease.

🐷🥓

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Now I'm sitting here, daydreaming of bacon! I'm thinking I'll need to incorporate some bacon into dinner tonight.

I do need to refill my bacon grease jar anyway.

• Love
That looks amazing! Wow - I'm going to attempt this on Saturday. In your recipe, is the T for teaspoon or tablespoon? Wow Wow Wow!
Thanks...I can't believe I asked that! In my defense, I hadn't had coffee yet and I had just discovered a 38" snake skin at the foot of my front steps. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky