Grayed edges of raw brisket...and a couple other questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke it

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
Hi SMF nation, I'm new to the forum and smoking. This forum has saved me a number of times already but I've got a few more questions I could really use some feedback on:

1. The only brisket left at the store last night was graying on the edges. I had already been to two other stores and it was getting late so I bought it for my smoke today. Last night I cut off the graying edges, but while applying rub I could smell a very faint odor, from the graying portions I assume. Can anyone provide me some coaching on meat discoloration and odor? Have I wasted my money on a piece of spoiled meat?

2. Where is the best place to buy meats of all types? I have a hard time tracking down boneless turkey breasts and good briskets. Most generic grocery stores seem to rotate their meat inventory. 

3. Any tips on how to keep this brisket moist. This is my second shot at brisket. The first brisket had great flavor but it was a bit dry.

Thanks for the help!

Good Morning Smoke it....

Welcome to SMF!

On the brisket being spoiled, I would guess you'll be okay, brisket's a whole cut (less surface for the bad stuff) and aged beef is typically better. It's hard too say from here?

As far as finding good cuts of meat, if there are no local butchers shops/meat markets, ask the butcher at the generic store you typically shop...become friends with him/her and ask lots of questions? Ask him what's good? If there's a particular cut you want, ask...I have found at our local Albertson's market, the butchers will cut just about anything as I want/need? They love "talking shop" at least from my experiences?

To keep the brisket moist, do a search above (on the search bar) and look up what type of cooking/grilling/smoking you're doing? Typically, a good rub and smoke in a good and sealed smoker will keep it moist...if you're peeking, it's not cooking. I smoked 2 briskets yesterday that turned out great a 6# and a 12#. I used EVOO and a basic rubs to start. Neither were dry...I did nothing special, I just spritzed them with a Vinegar/Honey/Maple whiskey mop about every hour (there's debate whether that keeps the meat moist or just aids in bark build-up? I believe it does both?). Others will smoke non-stop without any mopping and have great results...

Someone with way more experience will hopefully chime in here...most of the senior guys/gals on SMF will forget more than I'll ever know!

Happy Smokin'

~Brett

Last edited:
Reactions: smoke it
Brett,

Great feed back, thanks. It sounds like the meat is still useable. My first go around with brisket I did a lot of peeking. It was the first time I had used my WSM and heat fluctuation was also a problem. I've figured out how to hold 225 for about 9 hours so with any luck that will help with the dryness as well. I'll try spritzing it with something and see if that helps.Worst case scenario at least I'll enjoy the 80 degree Arizona weather :) 

Brett,

Great feed back, thanks. It sounds like the meat is still useable. My first go around with brisket I did a lot of peeking. It was the first time I had used my WSM and heat fluctuation was also a problem. I've figured out how to hold 225 for about 9 hours so with any luck that will help with the dryness as well. I'll try spritzing it with something and see if that helps.Worst case scenario at least I'll enjoy the 80 degree Arizona weather :) 

I didn't see the mention of beer consuming in there? Happy smoking and post pics...we love pics! It's called Q-View...oh and when you get a second hop on to the "Roll Call" and introduce yo' self!

~Brett

Sorry Brett, I will definitely do Qview in the future but tonight's brisket was a disaster. It came out tough and dry. I was too ashamed to take a picture:) Luckily I had some boneless turkey breast and sausage as insurance and they both turned out great. I look forward to the day when I can proudly Qview my brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky