Good use of Christmas ham bone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

griz400

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Just plugged in the crockpot at 11 am. started with hambone from this years xmas ham
IMG_0996.JPG
and soaked a bag of pinto beans overnight
IMG_1015.JPG
putting all of this together today cause will be pretty chili here all week long...
14 oz bag of pintos
1 1/2 large vidalia onions
2 poblano peppers
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can Italian tomatoes
2 cans of chicken broth
2 stalks celery
salt and pepper
sweet basil sprinkled over top
1 big hambone with alot of meat on it, made cuts to the bone.. and will all fall of the bone this way ...
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG

here is first layer

IMG_1018.JPG

now the beans

IMG_1019.JPG
now the top layer

IMG_1020.JPG

sweet basil and salt and pepper on top , now lid on at 11 am.
IMG_1021.JPG

see you all in about 5 to 6 hrs or so, will start on high, turn down on low after 3 hrs or so

Last edited:
Geeeessss..... Griz, I will be watching this one too... lol I am getting hungrier by the min.....

Looks great, we went with the wives split pea soup this year. Didn't last more the two days.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: griz400
Thanks Ab, Richard, Johnny, Al , Chris.. yep, should be a good batch .. but all ingredients were pretty cold, may cook on high for 4 hrs ... lol just started to bubble a little and has been 1 hr. and 45 minutes .... seems now to smell up the house .....

Last edited:
2:30 here ... just have a slow amount of bubbles all around .. seems the hamebone with all that meat, cold cans of chicken broth from garage .. etc etc .. but, is cooking, but, will be longer than I first thought ...

Turned out good .. will be lunch for me a few days this week .. gonna get cold here all week ..thanks for the point as well

Thanks Eddie, Turned out good ... was hot food on a cool day ... thanks for the point as well

Thanks motocrash, 39 in Brandon this am .. will be having a bowl at lunch today .... first day back to work .. was off a week .. thanks for the point as well ...

Last edited:
Thanks Richie ... grew up on beans ... Thanks for the point as well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky