Good Source for Meat - SF Bay Area

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JRC

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 26, 2024
Moraga, California
I did not see a forum for sourcing meat, and I do not see a group in the forums for California, so we'll try General Discussion.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's difficult to find good cuts of meat for smoking and curing. The meat shops tend to be pricey. The run-of-the-mill supermarkets tend to not carry larger cuts, and the Sam's and Costco's in the bay area tend to sell large quantities of meat which is already cut up.

There is a Hispanic market, Las Montañas Supermarket, I go to for pork belly, but it's usually a bit fatty for what I like.

For those in the SF bay area..........Where is your go-to spot for sourcing meat?

Reactions: JLeonard
About 35 years ago I helped a GC friend of mine build a custom home for the owner of Del Monte Meat Co, they used to supply all the best restaurants from Redding to Monterey. The main office is in West Sacramento with another in San Leandro. We used to play golf with the shop foreman and get whatever we wanted at wholesale prices, of course those days are long gone. You might try checking out the San Leandro office to see if you can setup an account. You won't get wholesale prices like we did but you will have a "IN" for the best beef and pork in the state. I heard they sold the business a few years back right after I moved to AZ, tho it's worth checking out. RAY

Reactions: JRC and JLeonard
About 35 years ago I helped a GC friend of mine build a custom home for the owner of Del Monte Meat Co, they used to supply all the best restaurants from Redding to Monterey. The main office is in West Sacramento with another in San Leandro. We used to play golf with the shop foreman and get whatever we wanted at wholesale prices, of course those days are long gone. You might try checking out the San Leandro office to see if you can setup an account. You won't get wholesale prices like we did but you will have a "IN" for the best beef and pork in the state. I heard they sold the business a few years back right after I moved to AZ, tho it's worth checking out. RAY

I see the trucks driving around the bay area. I'll look them up. Thanks..........

Do a google or facebook search for pasture raised meat in your area. Sometimes you can get some good leads there.

Jim

Reactions: JRC
Costco Business Center. I go to the one in Hayward but I believe there are 3 or 4 others. Lots of primal cuts and good prices. Restaurant Depot another option but I don't need cases of brisket.

Reactions: JRC
I did not see a forum for sourcing meat, and I do not see a group in the forums for California, so we'll try General Discussion.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's difficult to find good cuts of meat for smoking and curing. The meat shops tend to be pricey. The run-of-the-mill supermarkets tend to not carry larger cuts, and the Sam's and Costco's in the bay area tend to sell large quantities of meat which is already cut up.

There is a Hispanic market, Las Montañas Supermarket, I go to for pork belly, but it's usually a bit fatty for what I like.

For those in the SF bay area..........Where is your go-to spot for sourcing meat?
Costco and Costco business center are good. Usually the reg Costco has prime and business center has choice and some waygu at least San Jose business does.
The chef store has decent prices sometimes just check the biweekly add and weekly sale but it’s select or choice mostly.
For chicken wings I like the restraunt depot Jumbo wings but they are box of 40#s. Also need to check add for price that isn’t 2 bucks a pound.

Costco is about the most affordable we can get. If they dont have the big cuts you a re looking for I would ask one of the butchers there. When I have asked for more briskets for example, they brought me a whole box to choose one from.

also - online options are plentiful, but also spendy.

If you want an excuse to drive to SLC, they have the nations largest Costco and the meat walk-in fridge is HUGE! And they have everything and lots of it. massive amounts of large beef roasts, dino ribs, briskets (choice and prime). When I loved there is was hard not to bring it all home. It’s the one on 300W.

Reactions: JRC and jcam222
In our area both Sam's and Costco have bulk and large cuts in the back. Can also buy by the case.
We only have a Sam's here in central, Missouri, but one call to the butcher shop at Sam's, make a request, pick it up tomorrow. With one exception, I have always had great luck with them.

They will even sell me just a point off of a whole brisket...just ask.

Reactions: JRC and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky