Getting chips to last longer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thedish

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Michigan
Total newbie question here (and I do realize that this has been asked a billion times, but my question hasn't been 100% answered yet) I did a "dry run" with my Offset Charcoal smoker the other day, just practicing keeping the temps up and consistent. I noticed that when I was tossing chips in (directly into the coals) that they (obviously) were not lasting long. I've read many conflicting views on soaking vs. not soaking wood chips, and I've read some things about "Chip boxes". What is the best way to getting the most life out of wood chips? I was thinking of making some sort of chip basket (as that seemed the most logical solution) what can I use? Thanks!

Dish, I don't use chips on my offset, I use chunks. Lasts much longer. But if you want to use chips, try putting them in a clean tuna can with the lid still attached. Just load and push the lid back into place. Should about double your smoke time over tossing them onto the coals.

sweet, thank you for the info. When using chunks are you still separating them from the coals in some way or do you set them right in with the coal?

I use a charcoal basket and light one end via the Minion method. The chunks are just scattered throughout the unlit coals.

After it has burned thru, I will add more coals towards one end of the basket and toss another chunk or two on the other side. There will be plenty of residual heat to burn the wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky