Gator, Its what's for Lunch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cajun Coleslaw
1/2 head each Green and Red cabbage, cut as you prefer for slaw
1/2 a Red onion, sliced very thin
1lrg carrot, shredded
1/2c Mayo
2-4T Cajun spice
2T sugar
1T salt
Mix Mayo, sugar and salt.
Add 2T Cajun spice, taste and add more if desired.
Add to slaw and mix thoroughly, let chill for at least four hours or even better overnight.

Reactions: DRKsmoking

Comeback Sauce​

This is very similar to Raising Cane's or Foosackly's sauces.

1/2c mayonnaise
2T ketchup
2T chili sauce
1t Worcestershire sauce
1t Cajun spice
1/4t kosher salt
1/4t pepper
1/4t garlic powder
1/4t onion powder
1t lemon juice

Mix all together and chill before serving.

Looks great John. I've never had gator either, but would like to give those nuggets a try.

Point for sure
Chris

Not very many gators up here in NY...lol

I thought gators lived in the NYC sewer system. All those pet gators getting flushed down the toilets. LOL

Reactions: chilerelleno
I'm no zoologist, but I'd be careful about eating just any old reptile or amphibian. That one lizard did not look inviting.
At least alligator and rattlesnake meat however have a (living!) user base.
But...what does gator taste like???

All looks good John. I am in the never tried gator group,

But you make it look very tasty , especially with the rice , slaw and sausages.
So yes I would belly up to a plate of your servings

No Gators up here in this neck of the woods, just our fare share of idiots, :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_laughing:

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks great John. I've never had gator either, but would like to give those nuggets a try.

Point for sure
Chris

I thought gators lived in the NYC sewer system. All those pet gators getting flushed down the toilets. LOL
Probably, but I stay as far away from the city as I can, they could pave NYC over and I would never miss it!

Wow John, some fine looking goodies there. Whole meal looks amazing but I'd devour a bucket full of those nuggets. Went to a nice Cajun restaurant many years ago and they had gator gumbo. Just had to try it and was blown away!! Would have never considered using gator in gumbo but it was truly first class. I guess the concept is not a lot different than using shrimp though.

Robert

I'm no zoologist, but I'd be careful about eating just any old reptile or amphibian. That one lizard did not look inviting.
At least alligator and rattlesnake meat however have a (living!) user base.
But...what does gator taste like???

CHICKEN!!!

LOL!!

Naw, seriously, it's more like a cross between chicken and fish....about the best way I can describe it. Flaky like fish, not quite chicken flavor, not totally fish either..

Frog legs

Tastes like gator, it has its own thing and it is very good!

This does remind me of a years ago dinner service where a plate of gator (sauteed in a creole sauce) came back with the complaint that it was rotten and they wanted an new dish or their money back..........This was perplexing to me because I personally received and prepped the gator shipment that was received from the vender that very afternoon as I was prepping for dinner service, I remember telling myself this is the freshest and best tasting gator we have ever got in......... so, the server asked the complainer, have you ever had gator and the person said no, but said it should taste like chicken, so the gator had to be bad cause it didn't taste like chicken.........so I refired the dish with sliced chicken and the person went home thinking they had the best tasting gator ever........

Frog legs
Wild caught gator, yes.
Farm raised gator, no.

Frog legs are another that can sort of be described as fishy chicken, but I always throw in the caveat that they have their own distinct amphibian flavor.
Can't really describe it, ya know when ya experience it though...
Maybe swampy?

Wild caught gator, yes.
Farm raised gator, no.

Frog legs are another that can sort of be described as fishy chicken, but I always throw in the caveat that they have their own distinct amphibian flavor.
Can't really describe it, ya know when ya experience it though...
Maybe swampy?
Yeah, maybe that. Definitely somewhat different from gator, but similar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky