Gator, Its what's for Lunch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Had several pounds of gator meat, trimmed it all up into nuggets and today it was lunch.

Gator Nuggets
LFQIdmjh.jpg

Pork Boudin and Dirty Rice
By3K0aoh.jpg

Cajun Coleslaw
eErwstah.jpg

Looks awesome. I have not had any gator in years. We used to have a Winn Dixie in town that had frozen gator tail, but they closed quite a few years back. Also had a guy I worked with who used to slip me a few packs when he got back from one of his Florida visits.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Yup that would work for me! It’s been a while for me as well, I use to love cooking with it back in the day!

Reactions: chilerelleno
Last year we were at a football camp in Arkansas and there was a big patio with grills and etc set up at the hotel for guests to use. There was a fella he was well past 3 sheets to the wind deep frying gator nuggets out there. Come to find out he was a worker helping build some big factory there and was from Louisiana. His wife shipped him a huge box of frozen gator nuggets. And he was feeding anyone that stopped by. Couldnt understand half of what he said between the alcohol and the deep Cajun accent. But good lord!! Those nuggets were the bomb. I think Bryce and I ate about a pound or more of them sitting there talking to him and some of the guys he worked with. Nicest group of guys you could meet.

Jim

I have never had gator but would have no problem trying it for myself.

Like clifish clifish said there are no gators in California except in zoos.
There are hordes of Alligators in California, used to catch'em all the time as a kid.
Yeah, I'm talking about the Western Alligator lizard.
alligator4.jpg

Damn John… I know I’m a SE ID redneck… but I LOVE Cajun food! The only way I can get it is to cook at home…. And inspiration like this and your other Cajun inspired threads… and what our friend foamheart foamheart (RIP) provided… is how I can enjoy the goodness of Cajun!

BTW, that looks beyond phenomenal and if ya slapped a bib on me… I’d be diving in head first!

Thanks my friend for your inspiration on this type of food!

Dirty Rice
This can be a side dish or a stand alone meal.

6c pre-cooked long grain, white rice, cooked in well salted chicken broth
1lb each Chicken livers, ground beef and ground pork sausage
1.25c each diced bell pepper and onion
3/4c diced celery
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1c chicken broth
4T Cajun spice
2T Salt

Precook 3c dried rice in chicken broth and set aside.
Dredge livers in flour and fry in bacon grease, cool and mince, set aside.
Over medium high heat start browning the ground beef and pork sausage.
While it's still gray add in the Trinity (veggies) and minced livers.
Continue to cook and get it well browned and crispy.
Add the cup of chicken broth, salt and spices.
Be sure to scrape the pan to get all the tasty bits into the broth, cook until broth is reduced almost dry.
Now add the rice and mix it all together well.
Taste and add spices as desired.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky