Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I have a question about the FoodSaver Jar sealing kit. Use this kit to create a vacuum seal that locks out air—the enemy of freshness—on both regular-mouth and wide-mouth mason-type jar lids. Not to be used for canning. Are you not canning these pickles? Or are you making fermented pickles?

So I have a question about the FoodSaver Jar sealing kit. Use this kit to create a vacuum seal that locks out air—the enemy of freshness—on both regular-mouth and wide-mouth mason-type jar lids. Not to be used for canning. Are you not canning these pickles? Or are you making fermented pickles?

I'm using the one for the wide mouth jars. You can get one for either. These are not canned or fermented. These are kept in the fridge. By vac sealing them they are ready to eat in 3 or 4 days instead of weeks.

I used to use foodsaver canisters, then transfer the pickles.
Now it's just too easy with the Ball jar adapter!!
Al

Same here, I did the same thing, and I wish I would have bought one sooner!!
Great invention and seems to be very well built & very sturdy!
Al

So, I tried the pickles that I made with the reused brine. They were not strong enough. So, I won't be doing that again.

Reactions: zwiller
So, I tried the pickles that I made with the reused brine. They were not strong enough. So, I won't be doing that again.

Thank you for posting this, I think the chicken brine idea sounds like the best way to go!
Al

2 weeks in to the 6 week wait.
Taking forever.
How do you wait that long?
With the vac sealer , they're ready in 3 or 4 days , but still better the longer you wait .
20180704_131639.jpg

Alum expetiment. Hey All, so I made a batch today and decided to run a test on the alum question. I made 4 jars regular, 3 hot (extra hot actually), and 1 regular minus the alum. I figure I'll keep 1 regular and the sans alum about 2 months before I open then do a head-to-head taste test. May enlist my pub crew for a truly independent taste test. I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, I'm just curious ;) So I'll post back in a couple months unless there are recommendations for a change of time table. Oh, these are all in mason jars using the foodsaver jar attachment.

Hey All! So last Friday I enlisted my guinea pigs - I mean my good friends and tasting crew down at the pub - and did the great alum/no alum pickle tasting experiment. I had 13 people participate, not including me. The results listed don't add up to 13 in all catagories because not everyone had an opinion on both issues.

Setup. As described above I made pickles same day, same cukes, same brine, just didn't add alum to one jar. At the time of tasting they had been in the fridge ~7weeks. I took pickles from each jar, cut into thirds and had my peeps first taste pickle "X" then pickle "Z". I asked which they thought was crispier and also if they had a taste preference. Pickle "X" was without alum.

Results: Pickle "X" no alum - 5 people thought it was crispier, 5 tastier.
Pickle "Z" w/alum - 7 people thought it was crispier, 6 tastier.

Not exactly a convincing data set. Most people had an opinion of "slightly" crispier or tastier either way. My buddy Joe was a standout in very emphatically preferring pickle Z in both categories. I even got Irish Frank (he's from Dublin) who hates pickles to give it a try and he found pickle Z "less offensive" than the other ;)

My opinion - I thought the pickle with alum was slightly crispier and I preferred the taste as well. For taste, my crew and I pretty much agreed that the pickle with alum has a more forward in your face flavor while the no alum is a bit more subdued, which makes seance to me as adding a mineral such as alum should have that effect. Overall it appears you can make these pickles with or without alum and have a crisp and flavorful pickle. There is a subtle difference but it seems to come down to personal taste.

Yeah, I could have just wrote "results inconclusive" or "no difference" but what fun would that that be :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
With the vac sealer , they're ready in 3 or 4 days , but still better the longer you wait .
View attachment 391130

Yea I love that ball jar attachment, I usually go 5 days under vacuum. And they are ready!
Al

Hey All! So last Friday I enlisted my guinea pigs - I mean my good friends and tasting crew down at the pub - and did the great alum/no alum pickle tasting experiment. I had 13 people participate, not including me. The results listed don't add up to 13 in all catagories because not everyone had an opinion on both issues.

Setup. As described above I made pickles same day, same cukes, same brine, just didn't add alum to one jar. At the time of tasting they had been in the fridge ~7weeks. I took pickles from each jar, cut into thirds and had my peeps first taste pickle "X" then pickle "Z". I asked which they thought was crispier and also if they had a taste preference. Pickle "X" was without alum.

Results: Pickle "X" no alum - 5 people thought it was crispier, 5 tastier.
Pickle "Z" w/alum - 7 people thought it was crispier, 6 tastier.

Not exactly a convincing data set. Most people had an opinion of "slightly" crispier or tastier either way. My buddy Joe was a standout in very emphatically preferring pickle Z in both categories. I even got Irish Frank (he's from Dublin) who hates pickles to give it a try and he found pickle Z "less offensive" than the other ;)

My opinion - I thought the pickle with alum was slightly crispier and I preferred the taste as well. For taste, my crew and I pretty much agreed that the pickle with alum has a more forward in your face flavor while the no alum is a bit more subdued, which makes seance to me as adding a mineral such as alum should have that effect. Overall it appears you can make these pickles with or without alum and have a crisp and flavorful pickle. There is a subtle difference but it seems to come down to personal taste.

Yeah, I could have just wrote "results inconclusive" or "no difference" but what fun would that that be :emoji_laughing:

Great write up. I have always used alum & think I will continue to do so.
Al

I will continue using alum as well. I do find a difference with and without it. That being said. I'm doing a triple header this fine Sunday morning. Pickles, oven jerky, and smoking about 20 pounds of cheese.

P3241868.jpg
P3241870.jpg

Great write up. I have always used alum & think I will continue to do so.
Al

Thanks Al. It was a fun little experiment. Even more than the alum issue, everyone was quite fond of the pickles overall (except Frank ) ;) I will continue to use it too, the difference was subtle but I prefer with alum.

I will continue using alum as well. I do find a difference with and without it. That being said. I'm doing a triple header this fine Sunday morning. Pickles, oven jerky, and smoking about 20 pounds of cheese.

Looks good Steve!

Finally the wait is over. these things are great. I may reduce the garlic amount for my taste. Will need to start another batch right away before I run out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky