Freshly brined Ham!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Salty

Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
I’m new to the forum and can’t fined this topic. So maybe someone can help? I just finished a 10 day brine on a fresh ham. I plan on serving it tomorrow for dinner. I want to take it off about 150 degrees. It’s about 17 pounds. I’m thinking 12 hours at 250. Would that be sufficient? Or should I just bring it to temp let cool and reheat in oven like a store bought ham? What’s y’all’s opinion?

I’m new to the forum and can’t fined this topic. So maybe someone can help? I just finished a 10 day brine on a fresh ham. I plan on serving it tomorrow for dinner. I want to take it off about 150 degrees. It’s about 17 pounds. I’m thinking 12 hours at 250. Would that be sufficient? Or should I just bring it to temp let cool and reheat in oven like a store bought ham? What’s y’all’s opinion?
Hopefully someone else has done similar and can chime in. 17 lbs is a whopper for sure. I've not done a ham that big.

I would think it would take a lot longer than that at that temp.
I do 8lb pork shoulders for about 12 hours at 275.
You could start at that, but you will probably need to up the temp to get done in time.
I'm sure somebody that has done one that large can provide better info.

First... There are many more questions that need answered... These are just a few

1. Was this a cure brine or just a salt/sugar brine ?
2. If it was a cure brine did you inject the cure brine (all over) to a 10% weight gain?
3. Does it have a bone in it? If so... Did you inject really good all around the bone ?
There is NO WAY a 17 lb fresh ham will be cured in 10 days without injecting...

It would be much better to do a really slow progressive cook for a uncooked ham... Meaning start cooking temps at 120 and ramping temps up 10 degrees every hour or so until you get to 180 degrees... Cook there until the IT (internal temp) your looking for... Doing it this way could more than likely take MUCH longer than 12 hrs...

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky