Fresh sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Papa Bob's backyard BBQ

Original poster
Jun 25, 2023
I have a dumb question for all you smart people,I have a recipe for a buffalo chicken sausage it calls for smoking after the overnight rest in the ice box it calls for encapsulated citric acid. Now for the dumb question do I have to smoke it or can I treat it as a fresh sausage?

No reason not to. If you don't mind losing the smoke flavor.
As with most things, smokeing it is just the cooking method, Tho it can influence the flavor in the plated product. Most can be baked, boiled or fried with or without casing.

As with most things, smokeing it is just the cooking method, Tho it can influence the flavor in the plated product. Most can be baked, boiled or fried with or wit

As with most things, smokeing it is just the cooking method, Tho it can influence the flavor in the plated product. Most can be baked, boiled or fried with or without casing.
My concern was the encapsulated citric acid if it needs to be cooked right away or treated as a fresh sausage. Thank you for your help and quick response I just found this site and probably going to be a regular soon

I'm guessing this is a chicken sausage with Buffalo NY flavor, not a chicken and bison sausage?

Option 2 is to make meatballs, add some flavor wood when cooking them, and toss in your sauce later.

zAPiR8k.jpg

And sometimes I finish them in a skillet with sauce
GetUrHG.jpg

Last edited:
As with most things, smokeing it is just the cooking method, Tho it can influence the flavor in the plated product. Most can be baked, boiled or fried with or wit

My concern was the encapsulated citric acid if it needs to be cooked right away or treated as a fresh sausage. Thank you for your help and quick response I just found this site and probably going to be a regular soo

Ditto chop and Rick, if you want to treat as a fresh sausage, leave the ECA out. You could add cultured buttermilk powder to get some tang instead of the ECA. I think 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk powder per 5lb. of meat is what I used on the last chicken sausage I did.

Ditto chop and Rick, if you want to treat as a fresh sausage, leave the ECA out. You could add cultured buttermilk powder to get some tang instead of the ECA. I think 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk powder per 5lb. of meat is what I used on the last chicken sausage I did.

Thanks for the info from the ones that had info to give. that's the reception I have left other sites for I guess it's not alright to ask dumb questions and maybe you shouldn't reply to us newbies have a great evening Papa Bob

Thanks for the info from the ones that had info to give. that's the reception I have left other sites for I guess it's not alright to ask dumb questions and maybe you shouldn't reply to us newbies have a great evening Papa Bob
No , that's not it at all . You're certainly welcome here , and will get great advice . Just happens that people ask questions to never be seen again , and sometimes feels like it's to start trouble .
Just hang in and get to know everyone . You'll be happy you did .

Reactions: DougE
I have a dumb question for all you smart people,I have a recipe for a buffalo chicken sausage it calls for smoking after the overnight rest in the ice box it calls for encapsulated citric acid. Now for the dumb question do I have to smoke it or can I treat it as a fresh sausage?
I'm still a dumb ass. Never processed with chicken or anything with encapsulated tart.
I smoke-cook my fresh sausage to pasteurize temps meaning under 140°.
I don't believe the lower pasteurize temps release the ECA

Care to share the recipe? The better replies will pick it apart and add their constructive 2¢

No , that's not it at all . You're certainly welcome here , and will get great advice . Just happens that people ask questions to never be seen again , and sometimes feels like it's to start trouble .
Just hang in and get to know everyone . You'll be happy you did .

I'm still a dumb ass. Never processed with chicken or anything with encapsulated tart.
I smoke-cook my fresh sausage to pasteurize temps meaning under 140°.

Care to share the recipe? The better replies will pick it apart and add their constructive 2¢
Thanks brother I appreciate it but I got it figured out

I believe it starts releasing at 130~135 ish, but the recommended finish temp is 150 or above when using it, as I remember. I only have a few recipes I use ECA in and they all have a finish temp of 151~152.

Like chop said.

No dumb questions, But when something gets posted 2x and then looks like another post where they dont come back. Seen it many times and it can get members like WTH?

Carry on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky