Fresh Italian Sausage (Calabrian Style)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, I was going to make Mortadela, but the buffalo chopper I had permission to use needs the blades sharpened so I had to nix that. It had been a good while since I have made some fresh Italian sausages so I figured, why not. Be a great way to use up the scraps and fairly simple project compared to all the salami making I been doing.
Night before, I made the sweet calabrian pepper sauce..
IMG_20210102_200859.jpg

3# sweet red bell peppers and 8 calabrian hot peppers for just a touch of heat
IMG_20210102_202423.jpg

Braise down with a little oil from the jar, dash of salt....for 20 minutes.

Then add 1/4 cup water, deglaze the pot, and simmer on low for 45 minutes until thick.

Puree with immersion blender until smooth. Reserve in fridge until needed the next day.

Next day, I weighed the meat. Had 16.6# so a nice batch of Italian fresh sausage. I used this weight to calculate my spices, salt and amount of pepper paste.

Once chilled to below 35*F in freezer, Ground thru 4.5mm plate, spices mixed in, proteins extracted, then stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings...
IMG_20210103_194829.jpg

And linked...
IMG_20210103_195453.jpg

Tub o' Italian links...now I gotta package them...in the freezer to firm up a bit for vac packing.
IMG_20210103_200505.jpg

Last edited:
So jealous of you! Italian sausage is in my bucket list. You make it look so easy. I’m a newbie on sausage making. I enjoy your posts.
Thanks yankee2bbq. I've been making fresh sausages for over 30 years. Easy as making hamburger meat. Stuffing is an acquired skill, but it is not that hard to master. Even flow of meat paste out of the stuffer horn and steady hand pressure... very little to no pressure when stuffing fresh sausage that will be made into links...you need to leave room in the casing for the sausage to expand when twisting....

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Oh- I did toast the fennel seed for about a minute on medium heat....just until they were fragrant so as not to burn them. Then I whizzed them in my spice grinder, but left some half seeds...not into a powder all the way.

I'm going to bring the bowl chopper blades to my uncle to sharpen. He is a knife maker and has a sharpening wheel and stones....I know he can do it. Then once the blades are sharp, Mortadella will be on deck.

Looks good my friend. Can you share the complete Recipe, Please?...JJ

Looks great . That's a load of sausage . It really gets almost easy when you get set up with all the stuff needed . Good results always helps too .

Looks great . That's a load of sausage . It really gets almost easy when you get set up with all the stuff needed . Good results always helps too .
Thanks Chop. good equipment definitely makes it easier. I stuffed those links in less than 5 minutes with my electric stuffer.

That looks and sounds awesome I love the slow burn of Calabrian chili.
I'd love to take a look at your recipe please.
Thank you.
Dan

I tell everyone I gave my wife a stuffer for Christmas so over the holidays I got lamb as well garlic pork with parmesan done. Italian is next on the list. I'd appreciate you sharing your recipe.
Thanks
Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky