Freestyle Italian food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most excellent looking meals Jeff. I've never had keto eggplant parm, but I love regular eggplant parm. as long as it's not done in casserole fashion. Again yours looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Most excellent looking meals Jeff. I've never had keto eggplant parm, but I love regular eggplant parm. as long as it's not done in casserole fashion. Again yours looks great.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I like it this way vs casserole as well so you can get crispy slices.

Had an urge to just get in the kitchen and cook yesterday continuing into today. I needed to make a pasta dish for my daughters housewarming so went with a few Italian items. I call it freestyle because its been Wingit with no recipes all the way. I really enjoy doing that at times. First up need to make some sauce. Started by browning about 1 1/2 lbs. Of local made Italian sausage I scored for $1.99 /lbs. ( Stocked up on it and breakfast sausage). View attachment 675114Setting the sausage to the side I threw some onions and green bell peppers in the sausage grease. It's pretty lean so used it all. View attachment 675115Time to add some mushrooms View attachment 675116Scored some canned red peppers for $0.25 / can at Savealot so diced up a couple cans and added to the mix. They are tasty so I'll go buy a case for the pantry at that price View attachment 675117Time to make it a sauce so in went 4 cans crushed tomatoes, 2 cans tomato paste, spices included garlic,onion, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning mix, oregano and some msg. After simmering for hours I finished it with some Splenda and butter to adjust acidity. I love butter at the end to add a great subtle back flavor and silky mouthfeel. View attachment 675118Here it is cooled off and ready for a pic then off to frig for an overnight rest. View attachment 675119First up today was the pasta for my daughter. As some of you know Amber is handicapped with cerebral palsy and at 30 has the capability of an 18 month old. I love making foods for her and she LOVES pasta. First off I roasted some cubed eggplant. Just olive oil , garlic salt and a little Italian seasoning. I scored a basket of cheap eggplant at my favorite Mennonite produce market so you will see it a few times from me this week lol. View attachment 675120Next I boiled a box of penne and brought it all together with the sauce and eggplant for a Eggplant Parmesan pasta. Packed in a disposable bowl to take to her new living arrangement tomorrow. View attachment 675121As I had mentioned in another post I have tons of peppers. I had a small bag of Anaheim so decided to do a quick easy appetizer. Sliced lengthwise, seeded then stuffed with mozzarella and cut up pepperoni.
View attachment 675122Baked at 400 for around 15 minutes or so. I made half th e plated pic my lunch. View attachment 675123 Last up for the day was a Keto deconstructed eggplant parmesan. Eggplant was peeled, sliced 1/2" thick and salted then left to sit for an hour. This pulled moisture out nicely. I dried each with paper towel. To "bread" them they went first into almond flour, then egg wash and lastly Italian herb flavored Parmesan crisp crumbs. These are flavor bomb!! Knocks out the breading and parmesan in one step. View attachment 675124Into the oven for 20 minutes at 375 and about another 10 at 400F. Stacked with mozzarella in between two and served on the meat sauce. Garnished with some fresh parsley, basil and an oregano flower. I had one more dish to make from eggplant but have called it a day lol. I'll whip it up tomorrow. Thanks for looking! View attachment 675133
You sir are a food artist. Very appetizing, I'm so hungry for pasta right now. Peppers and cheese have been added to the list. That's gonna be a new item for our family to try.

You sir are a food artist. Very appetizing, I'm so hungry for pasta right now. Peppers and cheese have been added to the list. That's gonna be a new item for our family to try.
Thanks for the kind words. Seeing this post reminds me it's been awhile since I did a nice presentation. I'll have to change that soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky