Freestyle Italian food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Had an urge to just get in the kitchen and cook yesterday continuing into today. I needed to make a pasta dish for my daughters housewarming so went with a few Italian items. I call it freestyle because its been Wingit with no recipes all the way. I really enjoy doing that at times. First up need to make some sauce. Started by browning about 1 1/2 lbs. Of local made Italian sausage I scored for $1.99 /lbs. ( Stocked up on it and breakfast sausage).
PXL_20230830_185913253.jpg
Setting the sausage to the side I threw some onions and green bell peppers in the sausage grease. It's pretty lean so used it all.
PXL_20230830_183453938.jpg
Time to add some mushrooms
PXL_20230830_185138709.jpg
Scored some canned red peppers for $0.25 / can at Savealot so diced up a couple cans and added to the mix. They are tasty so I'll go buy a case for the pantry at that price
PXL_20230830_190336251.jpg
Time to make it a sauce so in went 4 cans crushed tomatoes, 2 cans tomato paste, spices included garlic,onion, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning mix, oregano and some msg. After simmering for hours I finished it with some Splenda and butter to adjust acidity. I love butter at the end to add a great subtle back flavor and silky mouthfeel.
1000005060-01.jpeg
Here it is cooled off and ready for a pic then off to frig for an overnight rest.
1000005068-01.jpeg
First up today was the pasta for my daughter. As some of you know Amber is handicapped with cerebral palsy and at 30 has the capability of an 18 month old. I love making foods for her and she LOVES pasta. First off I roasted some cubed eggplant. Just olive oil , garlic salt and a little Italian seasoning. I scored a basket of cheap eggplant at my favorite Mennonite produce market so you will see it a few times from me this week lol.
1000005147-01.jpeg
Next I boiled a box of penne and brought it all together with the sauce and eggplant for a Eggplant Parmesan pasta. Packed in a disposable bowl to take to her new living arrangement tomorrow.
1000005109-01~2.jpeg
As I had mentioned in another post I have tons of peppers. I had a small bag of Anaheim so decided to do a quick easy appetizer. Sliced lengthwise, seeded then stuffed with mozzarella and cut up pepperoni.
1000005114-01.jpeg
Baked at 400 for around 15 minutes or so. I made half th e plated pic my lunch.
1000005127-01.jpeg
Last up for the day was a Keto deconstructed eggplant parmesan. Eggplant was peeled, sliced 1/2" thick and salted then left to sit for an hour. This pulled moisture out nicely. I dried each with paper towel. To "bread" them they went first into almond flour, then egg wash and lastly Italian herb flavored Parmesan crisp crumbs. These are flavor bomb!! Knocks out the breading and parmesan in one step.
1000005144-01.jpeg
Into the oven for 20 minutes at 375 and about another 10 at 400F. Stacked with mozzarella in between two and served on the meat sauce. Garnished with some fresh parsley, basil and an oregano flower. I had one more dish to make from eggplant but have called it a day lol. I'll whip it up tomorrow. Thanks for looking!
1000005180-01~2.jpeg

Last edited:
Man thats a gorgeous mix of freestyle cooking right there. I'd be in hog heaven.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I just polished off some of the eggplant Parmesan. I'll be making it way more often!
Nice presentation Jeff! It all looks amazing!
Thanks Steve! I was surprised how much I enjoyed eggplant. Even the roasted cubes I found delicious , so sweet and crispy on the outside creamy inside.

Reactions: JLeonard
Great job jeff! Love it.

Fred
Thanks Fred!
Very nice Jeff.
My Thai eggplant is just starting to put out so I will be grilling tomorrow or Monday
Man I didn't realize how much I liked eggplant! It will be consumed here far more often now.
Just Awesome! I would love every dish!
Thanks! Simple dishes but tasty
Looks like a busy day. Everything looks so good. Amber going to love that Pasta!
She sure will Brian! Excited for her new house. She's moving from a care facility to a round the clock staffed two bedroom home. She will get far better care and more attention.

Looks great Jeff, and love it all.

And great for your daughter to get into the private home care.
I do a lot of work for a small options group that has 9 homes right here in Metro.
They are a great company, I have been doing a lot of their work for over 20 years.
They take very good care of the residents in the homes . Better 1 on 1 care .
I am always there changing or modifying things for the different needs of the folks .

David

Looks great Jeff, and love it all.

And great for your daughter to get into the private home care.
I do a lot of work for a small options group that has 9 homes right here in Metro.
They are a great company, I have been doing a lot of their work for over 20 years.
They take very good care of the residents in the homes . Better 1 on 1 care .
I am always there changing or modifying things for the different needs of the folks .

David
I am so excited for her having better care! This company runs a half dozen or so houses in the area too. Small world, didn't realize you did work in those type homes.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I am so excited for her having better care! This company runs a half dozen or so houses in the area too. Small world, didn't realize you did work in those type homes.

I'm glad for your daughter also ,as she will get better close and personal care if they are like the customer of mine. Ours is also government funded and inspected quite often.

They are one of my good customers, always something that needs to be fixed of modified
I have been doing a lot of their work to their homes and rebuild their offices twice as they have gotten bigger ( keep moving into larger space as they need more staff ) for the last 25 years +/-.
For the last 6 days and this Tuesday I am working at one of the homes , changing all the flooring on the main floor, hard on this old guys knees and back .
Just rebuild the kitchens in 2 other homes in the last 2 months.

They always try to keep the homes up , each home is different as the residents are different in each home. One is just for wheel chair folks and some of the others have both. These homes need more care as the walls and door trim and cabinets take a bit of a beating.

David

I'm glad for your daughter also ,as she will get better close and personal care if they are like the customer of mine. Ours is also government funded and inspected quite often.

They are one of my good customers, always something that needs to be fixed of modified
I have been doing a lot of their work to their homes and rebuild their offices twice as they have gotten bigger ( keep moving into larger space as they need more staff ) for the last 25 years +/-.
For the last 6 days and this Tuesday I am working at one of the homes , changing all the flooring on the main floor, hard on this old guys knees and back .
Just rebuild the kitchens in 2 other homes in the last 2 months.

They always try to keep the homes up , each home is different as the residents are different in each home. One is just for wheel chair folks and some of the others have both. These homes need more care as the walls and door trim and cabinets take a bit of a beating.

David
Day one of her move in went well. Really like the house manager / caregiver as well. She was in need of full time care in her 20s giving her a unique perspective.
Wow just Wow
Thanks man!

HOLY S#@T JEFF!! What a truly amazing spread. You know we love Italian around here but what you've done takes it to a whole new level. Simply stunning my friend and kudos for taking care of your daughter. She is a deserving young lady and you made her day buddy, I'm sure. Excellent work all around.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
HOLY S#@T JEFF!! What a truly amazing spread. You know we love Italian around here but what you've done takes it to a whole new level. Simply stunning my friend and kudos for taking care of your daughter. She is a deserving young lady and you made her day buddy, I'm sure. Excellent work all around.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I made a ton of sauce so may freeze some but overall eating it on everything lol. Getting ready to pattie up and grill 7 lbs of that $1.99 a lbs bulk hot Italian sausage I scored. Good sandwiches with the meat sauce , mozzarella and a splash of hot sauce.

Your daughter is blessed to have someone that loves her so much.

Funny, when my daughter visits, I cook pasta for her too. Her husband does not like pasta so I help her with her pasta fix. Gotta love our daughters!

• Love
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky