Franklin co Mississippi Boy,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome! This is the best place to get your questions answered...
Thank you
I am trying to navigate this site, tad different than I am used to
You can see what's built
My questions are the air intake and the chimney. I have run this one time it draws really good. But cooks to fast
I am thinking I need to choke the intake to slow the fire, but am unsure if I should also choke the chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
Howdy, and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
I see in your signature you are a pit master
Perhaps, if you have the time, you could learn me a little about adjusting the heat and smoke time ?

Do a search on here for cinder block pits, there have been a few posted. Growing up, it's what we cooked on, but it was fed with coals from a fire barrel. My dad and uncles didn't have temp probes and such, it was all done by feel and looks. This was 30-40 years ago.

Now I control temps by limiting the inlet air with the exhaust wide open. That's what I do on my offsets and grills...

Lo
Do a search on here for cinder block pits, there have been a few posted. Growing up, it's what we cooked on, but it was fed with coals from a fire barrel. My dad and uncles didn't have temp probes and such, it was all done by feel and looks. This was 30-40 years ago.

Now I control temps by limiting the inlet air with the exhaust wide open. That's what I do on my offsets and grills...
Do you remember a tv show called lost in space? You told me to search. So in that shows robots voice. "searching".

Welcome from NC, I haven't cooked on a block pit but I would start by choking down the intake. How do you get your coals? From what I have seen with block pits is people usualy have a side fire and shovel them in. Dumb answer but maybe a smaller amount of coals would also help.

Here's one...

Welcome from NC, I haven't cooked on a block pit but I would start by choking down the intake. How do you get your coals? From what I have seen with block pits is people usualy have a side fire and shovel them in. Dumb answer but maybe a smaller amount of coals would also help.
Show is the fire pit and the smoke chamber
Separated by a 8" block wall. All block is filled with sand for insulation

The fire chamber has a non mortared block that can slide out, if more charcoal is needed it is delivered through this hole
Shown in pictures block slid out and holeshown
image.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky