Found some old chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
Well, anytime the wife heads out to visit family, I hit the freezer to look for some of the older items that need to be smoked. While digging around I found a cryovac whole fryer. Now this baby has to be at least a year old. Can't see any freezer burn. Safe or should I pitch it (which is the way I am leaning).

I wouldn't toss it yet.  Frozen foods tend to stay a while longer when they are vacuum sealed.  My experience has been that vacuum sealed foods tend to last 6 months longer than regularly frozen foods.  For example, if you bought a chicken from the store that was simply sealed at the store in cellophane, then freezing it may give you about 4 - 6 weeks.  Take that same chicken and put it in a freezer bag and you get about 4 months.  Put it in a vacuum sealed bag and you get about 10 months.  Buy it already vacuum sealed and you get about 13 months.  Thaw it out and see what it smells and looks like.  If it looks or smells funny, toss it. 

It will be safe to eat but might be a little dry... I'd brine it, rub it and smoke it... or throw it in a pot and make chicken soup....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky