FNG - NW AL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bonz50

Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
been smokin for a long time. started over on TVWB many years ago, probably 14yrs back? finally moved over to a OK Joe Longhorn (still have/use it) about 8-9yrs ago and I feel very good about the quality of the Q I produce. friends/family love it. I donate pulled pork (they buy the butts, I do the work) to the HS concessions and it gets rave reviews, people asking where my restaurant was and etc. Now that my boys are off to school down in Tuscaloosa and I have a bit more time on my hands I'm really lookin to up my game a bit. especially now that I'm on a carnivore diet and eating a ton more meat these days.

I want to get a newer/higher quality stick burner so it's a bit more consistent and hold temps better (my biggest gripe about the okie joe). The OKJ has served its purpose which was to teach me how to use an offset and manage the flame, but it's seen better days, it's lived a good chunk of it's life in WI/IL border area so it's seen some crappy weather and is rusting pretty good and not lookin so healthy these days.

I really need to up my brisket game, I've done 2 over the past few years and they turned out ~ok~ but wasn't up to a quality point I'd want to serve to friends/family much less donating to the HS concession program. So that is one thing I'm really going to be working on a lot coming up

other things not food related: 55yr old, married for 25yrs, my boys (19&22) and I are into cars, I'm working on playing guitar, have a 21yr old daughter with Down Syndrome (she's my angel - below ), and of course many of the other things you'd expecting around here (hunting fishing side by sides, etc)

_nc_ohc=nzlYfECz4CoAX9Q29Vl&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Greetings and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
There's a lot of stick burner folks on here.
I'm sure some will be able to give some tips for a new one.

You might want to post your budget.
A member here has one for sale --> Reverse Flow Offset

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
been smokin for a long time. started over on TVWB many years ago, probably 14yrs back? finally moved over to a OK Joe Longhorn (still have/use it) about 8-9yrs ago and I feel very good about the quality of the Q I produce. friends/family love it. I donate pulled pork (they buy the butts, I do the work) to the HS concessions and it gets rave reviews, people asking where my restaurant was and etc. Now that my boys are off to school down in Tuscaloosa and I have a bit more time on my hands I'm really lookin to up my game a bit. especially now that I'm on a carnivore diet and eating a ton more meat these days.

I want to get a newer/higher quality stick burner so it's a bit more consistent and hold temps better (my biggest gripe about the okie joe). The OKJ has served its purpose which was to teach me how to use an offset and manage the flame, but it's seen better days, it's lived a good chunk of it's life in WI/IL border area so it's seen some crappy weather and is rusting pretty good and not lookin so healthy these days.

I really need to up my brisket game, I've done 2 over the past few years and they turned out ~ok~ but wasn't up to a quality point I'd want to serve to friends/family much less donating to the HS concession program. So that is one thing I'm really going to be working on a lot coming up

other things not food related: 55yr old, married for 25yrs, my boys (19&22) and I are into cars, I'm working on playing guitar, have a 21yr old daughter with Down Syndrome (she's my angel - below ), and of course many of the other things you'd expecting around here (hunting fishing side by sides, etc)

View attachment 678683
Welcome to the forum brother from Tampa. I look forward to seeing what you put together.

Brad

Welcome from Mississippi! Just south of Memphis. Look forward to your post and pics.

Jim
my brother lives in Collierville, he's rollin with a Shirley 24x36". That's kinda what I'm lookin to upgrade to as well. Funny that I'm actually the one that talked him into getting a Shirley even tho I didn't have one (a friend did). I'm in Tuscaloosa often enough that I need to stop and see Paul/Tyler and discuss one of those or a small custom build (tho I know they are on quite a long wait for custom). I was thinkin about a ~50".

my brother lives in Collierville, he's rollin with a Shirley 24x36". That's kinda what I'm lookin to upgrade to as well. Funny that I'm actually the one that talked him into getting a Shirley even tho I didn't have one (a friend did). I'm in Tuscaloosa often enough that I need to stop and see Paul/Tyler and discuss one of those or a small custom build (tho I know they are on quite a long wait for custom). I was thinkin about a ~50".
I work in Collierville. I'm wanting a nice offset but gotta wait for the space for it. Only so much space on the patio. You need to get your brother on here also.

Jim

I work in Collierville. I'm wanting a nice offset but gotta wait for the space for it. Only so much space on the patio. You need to get your brother on here also.

Jim
he very well could be, honestly not sure, i'll ask him :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky