First turkey smoke! Yea, very excited! Qviews...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fl girl

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Since this is my virgin turkey smoke I just have to share!  This is my second smoke in my masterbuilt electric 30 smoker.  First was a boston butt.

I started brinning it yesterday afternoon with water, salt, apple juice, and garlic.  This morning I cleaned it then put butter with garlic under the skin (the best I could...I could use help with this), the top of the bird and the inside the bird.  I also used applewood rub on the outside. I set my smoker on 275 and started smoken'. See added pictures.

Last edited:
48387b5f_TurkeySmoking002.jpg

a562b541_TurkeySmoking004.jpg
...Now ready to go in the smoker

767e0e30_TurkeySmoking003.jpg

The first time I opened the smoker to spray apple juice...

bfd8fbdd_TurkeySmoking006.jpg

Uesed apple wood chips...The next two picture are of the done bird.  I have it wrapped in foil to eat later today.  Will post more pictures when it's cut up and I'll give input on how it tastes.  I'm a little worried I used too much garlic.  :)

df57b71c_TurkeySmoking007.jpg

a7f1162c_TurkeySmoking008.jpg

Well, I let it sit wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler for about an hour and a half.  I just opened it, cut/ripped it apart and tasted it.  It tastes great and is very tender; however, the skin was not crispy.  YUCK!  So, I got rid of the skin and here is what it looks like.

Thanks for looking.  Any help for crispy skin is appreciated!

Linda

8f3eb233_TurkeySmoking009.jpg

9de28e0e_TurkeySmoking010.jpg

Foiling produces steam and moisture, so that is what probably ruined your crispy skin. I have not yet done a turkey, but I don't think I would wrap it in a towel and store in a cooler like a brisket or pork butt. That is done to help break down more connective tissues in meat, and turkey doesn't really need that. I'd serve it much the same as if it came out of the oven.

Last edited:
The Turkey looked great. Timing on Birds has to be a little closer to on the money because you loose the skin with foiling. What you can do is if you find you are getting done too soon is pull the bird at 155*F IT in the Breast, it will be Safe from Bacteria. You can then cooler it to stay warm. Thirty minutes out stick it in a 425*F oven. It will finish cooking to 165*F and Crisp the Skin nicely. Around here you got to fight for Crispy Skin, the Wife and kids like it better than the meat!...JJ

a562b541_TurkeySmoking004.jpg
...Now ready to go in the smoker

767e0e30_TurkeySmoking003.jpg

The first time I opened the smoker to spray apple juice...

bfd8fbdd_TurkeySmoking006.jpg

Uesed apple wood chips...The next two picture are of the done bird.  I have it wrapped in foil to eat later today.  Will post more pictures when it's cut up and I'll give input on how it tastes.  I'm a little worried I used too much garlic.  :) There is no such thing as too much garlic!!

df57b71c_TurkeySmoking007.jpg

a7f1162c_TurkeySmoking008.jpg
Looks Awesome!! Great Job!!

Thanks for all the comments.  I was amazed by how fast the bird cooked and we were not ready to eat yet so that's why it went in foil.  Big mistake.  Oh well, it still tasted good...can't really complain.  Since I how how fast it can cook I can wait till later in the day to smoke it and just let it sit for a while before eating. 

Thanks all!

Linda

since we had our camera stolen its all word of mouth. we did a couple turkies two weekends ago and like you we did it with apple as well.

the only issue i have with apple wood is the lack of smoke ring. my son has been , behind my back giving the packets (vaccum packed) to h is

girlfriends family. apparently they have loved each and every bite. oooo i was upset. so time to smoke some more.

Congrats on your first turkey. Jimmy gave you some great advice on how to hold it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky