First Tri-Tip!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippinntearin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Sup Ya'll!

Decided it was time to see what all the Tri-Tip hype was all about. So I went to my local meat market and got one (not cheap)...local grocer doesn't readily carry them. I figured since the family would be eating it I kept it simple...just S&P and some Montreal steak seasoning (no marinade). Fired up the Weber kettle for indirect at 225 degrees and cooked till a temp of 125 degrees of the meat and pulled. Thereafter I added some more coals and got the kettle as hot as it would go and seared off both sides. Never having Tri-tip I felt like its a cross between a flank steak and a skirt steak...regardless it was delicious and my kids devoured their servings! That is a win in my book when my kids eat what we make! I will say I made an error and should have pulled the meat when searing when the temp was about 135 degrees and let it climb after pulling. The shape of the tip cooks unevenly since its way thicker and thinner on other ends and most was "medium-well". Some of the thinner parts were well done but still tender...lesson learned.

Enjoy! Rip...

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 32
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 38
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 42
  • T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 42
  • T4.jpg
    T4.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 42
It sure looks real good, but you cut it with the grain, instead of against the grain, which would have made it even more tender. It sure looks cooked to perfection. Nicely done, but next time cut it against the grain And you will be amazed at how tender it is.
Al

It sure looks real good, but you cut it with the grain, instead of against the grain, which would have made it even more tender. It sure looks cooked to perfection. Nicely done, but next time cut it against the grain And you will be amazed at how tender it is.
Al
I sure did didn't I!!! Rookie mistake...first time. I noticed that the grain goes in two different directions. Well...needless to say the rest of the tip (we ate about half) will be cut against the grain...thanks Al!

Maybe a little too far done but still awesome tasting I bet, no matter which way you slice it! Lol! I just recently did my first tri tip. Nicely done!

Ryan

I noticed that the grain goes in two different directions.

It certainly does. You just need to change the cut as the grain changes. I usually take it to 110-115 before searing to ensure it doesn't overcook - but yours looks fine.
Montreal steak seasoning has plenty of salt and pepper so that's all I season it with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky