First Time Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ice1374

Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
New Smyrna Beach, Fl
I am looking to purchase a smoker for the first time. I know I want electric.  I looked at the Masterbuilt 40inch electric with digial display and window.  I am not concerned with the window but it just happens to have one.  Does any recommend or not recommendthis Unit? But mostly my question is....  This unit has a manual side loader for wood chips, if I was to smoke a butt for what I assume is about 8 hours, how often am I going to have to load chips?  I dont want to purchase something that will require me to load chips every hour.

Thank you to anyone that can advise me.

Unless you get a Bradley that automatically feeds the pucks. The MES is a great unit, it's even better when paired with Todd's AMNPS (A-Mazen-Pellet Smoker at www.amazenproducts.com). Other wise you are going to have to "feed" it every 30-45 minutes. Many MES owners here have one of Todd's AMAZEN products and couldn't be happier. They work great for those long smokes, when you really want to set it and forget it, as well as cold smoking.

Earlier this year I was in a quandary as to what to buy as I was moving from a side burner to electric. I was tired of tending, adding wood to keep the heat stable every couple of hours; I wanted something rather fool proof and easier.  Between the manufacturer specific forums on websites such as Cookshack and SmokinTex as well as others and visiting stores that carry smokers, I looked at quite a few including the Masterbuilt line. Many youtube videos were watched. All the smokers had their own following as well as strong and weak points. I settled on the Cookshack because of the digital control.  It is a good smoker. One single 2 or 3 ounce piece of wood for ribs, 4 ounces for larger cuts like butts. That is it. I don't open the door till the food is finished. However, having scoured the many forums available since then, I have come to the conclusion that I could have spent less and gotten great food. The important aspect for me was simplicity and not fussing with adding wood and monitoring the process. I recently ordered a Smokin-it as a gift since it seemed like a good value for the money spent and was the lowest priced all stainless steel electric smoker I could find.  By all accounts, it is performing admirably. Good temperature, no fussing. So if I had to do this all over again, my sights would be set much lower and I would get one for myself. The money saved would go for meat. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky