First time pulled pork question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris246810

Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Hello all I habe a MBES I want to do a pulled pork over the weekend. I saw a boneless pork butt in my butcher but it was tied up is that ok for smoking for pulled pork? Apple wood chips are good for that? What the timing for this butt?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Sure, that butt will be fine, even tied up. I don't have an electric smoker but am positive those that do will jump in to help you. Main thing to remember is to aim for the internal temp of 205 degrees. The meat will need to cook in the 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound, depending on the cooking temp.

Apple is good so is cherry wood, hickory, maple and pecan. Or you can mix them up, I personally like a blend of hickory and cherry when I smoke pork.

Like Sauced said plan on 1.5 hrs per pound if you smoking in the 225 degree range.  You can shave time off by running your smoker hotter if you desire.  I am a 225 guy myself but you will get great product running hotter as well.  Another thing you can do is wrap when you approach the stall.  This will help you power thru the stall but the downfall is you won't get the nice thick bark that so many crave.  Good luck with your smoke and let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanx guys I will keep u posted on how my pulled pork comes out. Also being the Internal temp should be 225 what degrees should I set my smoker to? 225? I will also add water to the water bowl to keep it moist And how many times should I add smoking chips?. I'm also picking up the butt tomorrow. should I add rub yo it and wrap it up and let it sit over night in the fridge?

Thanx guys I will keep u posted on how my pulled pork comes out. Also being the Internal temp should be 225 what degrees should I set my smoker to? 225? I will also add water to the water bowl to keep it moist And how many times should I add smoking chips?. I'm also picking up the butt tomorrow. should I add rub to it and wrap it up and let it sit over night in the fridge?

Thanx guys I will keep u posted on how my pulled pork comes out. Also being the Internal temp should be 225 what degrees should I set my smoker to? 225? I will also add water to the water bowl to keep it moist And how many times should I add smoking chips?. I'm also picking up the butt tomorrow. should I add rub yo it and wrap it up and let it sit over night in the fridge?

The internal meat temp you are looking for is 205, so you can run your smoker anywhere from 225-280. Personally I smoke my butts at 270-280.

They take about 1 hour per pound at that temp, and there is usually not much of a stall.

Al

Ok great will do 250 275. I just want to know would it be a good idea to smother the butt with rub and wrap it up with plastic wrap and let it sit in fridge over night for Monday morning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky