First time doing whole chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louisvillesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Picked up two "Fryer chickens" for Sunday. Didn't realize Fryer meant small until I googled it. They are both about 3.5 lbs. Plan to brine them on Saturday, dry out overnight and smoke them on Sunday.

Any tips/advice?
Simple brine recipe?
Rubs?
I've seen everyone say high temp is better with chicken so I'll try to keep my Weber around 300. Any guess on how long I should expect that to take? Two hours? Four fours?
Probe in the breast or thigh?

Thanks!

Spatchcock for sure. It cooks faster and more evenly. When you reach the target IT, I like to flip the bird over and place it on a scorching hot grill to crisp up the skin. That, and everything Richard just said!

Simple brine:

per qt of water
1/4 c kosher salt
1/4 c brown sugar

That's it. No simpler than that.

I usually add some flavor enhancers to this mixture such as onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, etc...

Simple rub:

Salt 1T
Pepper 1T
Paprika 1T
Granulated onion 1t
Granulated garlic 1t

Very simple. No sugar to burn if you are running at higher temp.

Reactions: texomakid
I inject with Creole butter, and rub with Traeger pork and poultry. I reverse my vortex, and surround with lit coals. I put a beer can chicken holder in the bird (but no beer), and place it on a pie pan in the vortex. I run it around 350 turning the lid of my kettle 90 degrees every 15 minutes.

These guys got you covered. Spatching them is the way to go. I would say run them at 300 degrees, 2 hours, and 6 beers(hey gotta have a couple while you are setting the smoker up)

I usually don't brine my chickens and they always come out juicy. Just rub the whole thing down and put pats of butter/rub under the skin on the breasts.

A great poultry brine I use on turkeys...do a search for tips slaughterhouse brine. Its tasty.

Good luck and post some pics!

These guys got you covered. Spatching them is the way to go. I would say run them at 300 degrees, 2 hours, and 6 beers(hey gotta have a couple while you are setting the smoker up)

I usually don't brine my chickens and they always come out juicy. Just rub the whole thing down and put pats of butter/rub under the skin on the breasts.

A great poultry brine I use on turkeys...do a search for tips slaughterhouse brine. Its tasty.

Good luck and post some pics!

My pellet smoker won’t even power up unless there’s an open beer within 6 feet of it - I started to bring it up with Camp Chef but I just deal with it.

My only advice would be to spatchcock them & pull them off when the breast is at 157 IT. After a 15 minute rest it will creep up to around 165 & be super juicy & tender.
I usually try to look for chickens in the 5-6 pound range, cause they tend to have large breasts.
Al

Thanks for the tips! Got these two birds prepped for the grill. Rubbed them with olive oil and some herbs and spices. Putting them on in about 90 minutes
20190804_132134.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky