First time chicken thighs, QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crvtt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Was in the mood for thighs, bought an 8 pack for under $5 after work.  I was in a hurry so I just pulled back the skin with my hand, rubbed on some of Billbo's rub that I already had pre made, fold the skin back over and dipped it with the skin back into the spices.  I didn't de bone them or trim any excess fat as most of you do.   They were still a little icy in the center so I was guessing about 3 hours.  I smoked them in a pan using cherry at 250 for a little over an hour and was surprised to check on them and they were already in the 130s.  I turned it back down to 225, after they hit 158 I pulled them and put bbq sauce on half of them, under the skin.   Put them back in at 200 as they were cooking faster than anticipated, once the hit 168 I pulled them out and ate dinner!  This was my first time using cherry, really liked it on poultry, would want something strong with beef or pork.  The thighs turned out great and I urge all of you that spend a lot time making them look pretty to just try the quick and messy version once.

Good looking , Crvtt . I'm like you , just wsh and season . The fat is where it's at , flavorwise anyhow.
drool.gif

Keep your coals hot and as always...

I didn't even wash them lol.  I wanted to see how they'd turn out if I just did it fast and messy and it's the way I'll be doing them from now on. As you can see in the drippings, most of of the fat seemed to render out anyways so scraping all the fat off and making them look pretty would just be a waste of time for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky